Discover Change In Terms

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

That is strange. So you just opened your Discover in January 2010?

On my last Discover statement, I had a balance of $74.29 and my minimum payment was $40...I thought that was strange. I always pay the account in full and in the 10 years I have had it, I have never once paid interest. But $40 minimum payment on a $74.29 balance? Crazy (I did do the $20 cash over at the grocery store, maybe they factored that in?).

You are right, they do have great customer service. They have call centers in UT and DE.

actually I opened my account in DEC 09 and it finally reported in jan 10.the good thing about Discover for me is that everywhere i shop they take Discover and at Discover shop,i can earned as much as 20% cash back on some of my favorite places i like to shop.
14 years 2 months ago #16
  • ColoNative
  • ColoNative's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

That is strange. So you just opened your Discover in January 2010?

On my last Discover statement, I had a balance of $74.29 and my minimum payment was $40...I thought that was strange. I always pay the account in full and in the 10 years I have had it, I have never once paid interest. But $40 minimum payment on a $74.29 balance? Crazy (I did do the $20 cash over at the grocery store, maybe they factored that in?).

You are right, they do have great customer service. They have call centers in UT and DE.
14 years 2 months ago #17

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Boy Scout Motto - "...aways be prepared...". Never leave home without two different bank cards! In fact for long trips make sure one is a visa and one a mastercard. Forget american express and discover. You have your back with the two major processing networks.
14 years 2 months ago #18

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

I would take Dillard's away also. Have not heard of them growing with you neither. Especially if you reside far away from their stores.:worried:
14 years 2 months ago #19

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

I think that is pretty messed up. I take it that they did not give out notices to their customers. What if you were out of town? It would have been a hard way to discover a way back home if you only depended on that one card while you were away. That is ridiculous, and untrustworthy of them. Keep your eyes open, you never know what else they got up their sleeves. They probably are in the process of closing some accounts since they are shutting them down to accommodate the new credit rules.
:scared: :scared:
14 years 2 months ago #20

Eugene, even though that might not be a problem for you, it might be an inconvenience to many others. That's enough reason for them to close their Discover accounts and move on.

I've had nothing but great experiences when i deal with Discover csr so making hasty decisions to close a account without rationalizing the situation can come back and haunt you by being emotional at the moment.I knew my credit was fine and sometimes things like this happen and the way it was explained to me and the way they treat me as a customer, it is all good plus we all know the changes that are being made so nothing surprises me anymore. as far as credit unions go, i was a member of one for many years and was very pleased until a few years ago when they decided to charter into a mutual bank:upset: like a few here in Texas is doing.
14 years 2 months ago #21

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Remember, it pays to Discover. :cool:
14 years 2 months ago #22

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Discover Card puts holds on CLs due to the law change?! What the ****! This whole credit thing is getting carried away. GADS!
14 years 2 months ago #23

Jay1, feel free to close your Aspen account. The history will stay on your reports for 10 years and you won't have to continue paying those ridiculous fees. It's just not worth it.

I agree with ColoNative. Applying for a secured card from a prime bank will be a good move and will definitely look good on your reports. It's two different stories when an underwriter looks at your reports and sees nothing but subprime cards or a few sub-prime cards and a prime card.
14 years 2 months ago #24

Eugene, even though that might not be a problem for you, it might be an inconvenience to many others. That's enough reason for them to close their Discover accounts and move on.
14 years 2 months ago #25

Last week i went grocery shopping at Kroger's and used my Discover card to take advantage of the 5% cashback bonus on groceries and as I paid for my purchases, my card was declined. I decided to call the number on the back of my card and noticed I had 20 dollar balance and no available credit to which I thought "did they close my account" so i quickly requested for a csr.

The csr apologized for the inconvenience and told me that all Discover account opened in january 2010 credit lines were put on hold to emplement the new change in terms to new accounts because of the upcoming credit laws that's coming up.well it took less than a minute and my account was back on again but overall the customer service is still outstanding.
14 years 2 months ago #26
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

Hey Colo, I have a Hooters card only open about 3 months. Aspen is my oldest account almost 3 years old with my highest limit. I was afraid to close it for that reason. I tried for Cap One and was denied said to little experience with high limits.
Aspen 1,000 3yrs
Orchard 800 2 yrs
HSBC Disc 300 9 mths
Dillards 600 5 mths
JC Pennys 600 3 mths
Chevron 300 4mth
Macys 200 3mths
Hooters 500 5 mths
Tribute 450 Closed
Total 250 Closed
Rewards 660 300 Closed
Salute 250 Closed

Well you have some good cards there. I really would recommend a secured card with BofA because you need a prime bank and they will unsecure you and over the years you can get account upgrades and CLI's. Those HSBC cards are good but they probably won't grow much with you.
The longer you stay with Aspen, the harder it will be to get rid of it, and when you are at a 750 bureau you won't want to be paying these fees anymore. Check out BofA's website under credit cards and then click to see if you are preapproved for their secured card. Yeah, you have to come up with the money right away but you get it back down the road and then you are left with a prime lender on your bureau and even if you just did $300 they most likely would bump you up to $1000 once the account is unsecured.
15 years 1 month ago #27

Replied by Jay1 on topic Re: Discover Change In Terms

Hey Colo, I have a Hooters card only open about 3 months. Aspen is my oldest account almost 3 years old with my highest limit. I was afraid to close it for that reason. I tried for Cap One and was denied said to little experience with high limits.
Aspen 1,000 3yrs
Orchard 800 2 yrs
HSBC Disc 300 9 mths
Dillards 600 5 mths
JC Pennys 600 3 mths
Chevron 300 4mth
Macys 200 3mths
Hooters 500 5 mths
Tribute 450 Closed
Total 250 Closed
Rewards 660 300 Closed
Salute 250 Closed
15 years 1 month ago #28
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

Nice info Colo

Thanks Meya :cheesing:
15 years 1 month ago #29
  • ColoNative
  • Finance Captain
  • Finance Captain

I got that as well, but I am saving up my rewards. Discover is still my card of choice and use it where ever it is accepted. What makes the rewards add up faster is if you shop through the Discover website. Some places are 20% cash back.

You make a very good point, I will have to check that out. Don't get me wrong, my Discover isn't going anywhere. Its just crazy how much that card has changed in the 9 years I have been a cardholder. I guess it is the natural evolution of things. Discover no longer really has to give away the farm because they have established themselves here.
15 years 1 month ago #30