Visa with Chip and pin technology?

Replied by FrankN on topic Card Chips

Do you know if he uses ApplePay or an other app?
6 years 2 months ago #1

Replied by JacksonM on topic Card Chips

Wanderer wrote: My grocery store is really quick on using the chip. They must have some upgraded terminals ... very fast! Lots of talk about "Bliss Pay" or "Contact less" Cards coming out and/or back. Seems some issuers already have sent customer out contact less cards (has the symbol like WiFi on it). Chase gave me such a card many years ago and then abandoned their program. Word around is terminals that can read Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc can read such cards. That said, I might be interested.

I have a coworker who pays for almost everything with his phone. I'm not 100% sure how he does it since it seems like not all terminals are set up for it. I only learned about it when someone asked if he had the cash to make change. He said, "I don't mess with the stuff."
6 years 2 months ago #2

Replied by Wanderer on topic Card Chips

My grocery store is really quick on using the chip. They must have some upgraded terminals ... very fast! Lots of talk about "Bliss Pay" or "Contact less" Cards coming out and/or back. Seems some issuers already have sent customer out contact less cards (has the symbol like WiFi on it). Chase gave me such a card many years ago and then abandoned their program. Word around is terminals that can read Apple Pay, Android Pay, etc can read such cards. That said, I might be interested.
6 years 2 months ago #3

JGibbs wrote:

FrankN wrote: I have never experienced any chip transaction as quick as a swipe. I find it incredibly annoying!

Remember patiently waiting while the customer in front of you wrote a personal check? That's how long it feels whether I'm using the card or behind someone who is. I have a problem getting them to read too.

I've noticed this too. And then when it's finally done reading the card, the machine blares at you impatiently. There's only one store that has an issue with one of my cards. I used it there a couple of times, but then it stopped recognizing my AmEx completely even though the store accepts that method of payment.
6 years 2 months ago #4

JGibbs wrote:

FrankN wrote: I have never experienced any chip transaction as quick as a swipe. I find it incredibly annoying!

Remember patiently waiting while the customer in front of you wrote a personal check? That's how long it feels whether I'm using the card or behind someone who is. I have a problem getting them to read too.

Been reading the technology should be better in 2-3 years.
6 years 2 months ago #5

Replied by JGibbs on topic Card Chips

6 years 2 months ago #6

Wanderer wrote: Visa has a program that speeds up the actual transactions. It handles the process differently. Now how a store gets it or a financial institution is beyond me. They claim it is almost as quick as a swipe. Some terminals I have used went fast but not at the swipe speed.

I have never experienced any chip transaction as quick as a swipe. I find it incredibly annoying!
6 years 6 months ago #7

Replied by Joker on topic Card Chips

You are so right about hopefully speeding up transactions, however, I have not been that lucky. Once I was at WalMart using my new, chipped card and it actually got stuck in their machine. It irritated me beyond belief. They, of course, said it was my card and the card company said it was their machine. Go figure!
6 years 6 months ago #8

Replied by Wanderer on topic Card Chips

Visa has a program that speeds up the actual transactions. It handles the process differently. Now how a store gets it or a financial institution is beyond me. They claim it is almost as quick as a swipe. Some terminals I have used went fast but not at the swipe speed.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 6 months ago #9

Pinky wrote: I'm glad they are pursuing faster chips. Having to leave my card in the machine while they process my order holds me up. Sometimes the chip won't work at all. Innovations are good, however, I wonder if these innovations are leading us toward personal tattoos with our account info for a scan at the store or possibly a retinal scan? You know it's probably coming.

The addition of the chip definitely slows down the transaction process. I miss how easy it was to swipe and still try to do it sometimes.

Has anyone heard about or tried that credit card that uses a different number for each transaction? I think it's called Final or something. Or did I come across that here? I'm still not sure how it would work and not be confusing.
6 years 6 months ago #10

Replied by FrankN on topic Chip cards

CentsibleSaver wrote:

FrugalFran wrote: Don't they make special wallets now so hackers can't access your cards? I thought I saw something like that for sale at AAA. Again, though, it's probably only a matter of time before they find their way through it.

It brings another set of hassles though. The wallets are usually hard so it's uncomfortable to use and there are many counterfeits floating around because of the high demand for them.

I had a friend purchase one and it didn't work at all. In fact, he said it ruined a few of his gift cards (couldn't validate if that was true though)
6 years 7 months ago #11

Replied by CentsibleSaver on topic Chip cards

FrugalFran wrote: Don't they make special wallets now so hackers can't access your cards? I thought I saw something like that for sale at AAA. Again, though, it's probably only a matter of time before they find their way through it.

It brings another set of hassles though. The wallets are usually hard so it's uncomfortable to use and there are many counterfeits floating around because of the high demand for them.
6 years 7 months ago #12

Replied by Pinky on topic Card Chips

I'm glad they are pursuing faster chips. Having to leave my card in the machine while they process my order holds me up. Sometimes the chip won't work at all. Innovations are good, however, I wonder if these innovations are leading us toward personal tattoos with our account info for a scan at the store or possibly a retinal scan? You know it's probably coming.
6 years 7 months ago #13

Replied by Wanderer on topic Chip cards

It seems Visa now has a fast chip processing system and is rolling it out titled "Quick Chip". All you do is slip your card into the reader slot and remove it right away ... the system processes the rest of the transaction and you are on your way (card in hand). Way less waiting.
7 years 1 day ago #14

Replied by Wanderer on topic Chip cards

Frank ... "truth is good for the soul" ;) Is the wallet the real problem ... (just could not help myself) :) What type of wallet shields the cards? Sure would want to steer clear of the ones that make the cards not operative.
Last edit: 7 years 22 hours ago by Wanderer.
7 years 1 day ago #15