Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Explain!

Poll: Do you find this thread helpful in your situation?

Yes
30 71.4%
No
3 7.1%
Does not apply to me, but interesting
7 16.7%
Applies to me, but in a different way. (If checked, please post your story)
2 4.8%
Total number of voters: 4 ( FrankN, mocapino, Egghead, Finance Globe )
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Well its happened to me one of my oldest trades Aspen MC has closed my account. I was checking my reports tonight and saw that Exp was showing my account closed but the other two did not. So I disputed it with Exp and called Aspen. They said that not just mine but all Aspen cards were closed and my account had been sold to Compu Credit whoever that is. He said my account should show closed by consumer, does anybody know what this is going to do to my score?

Besides, when creditors view your report, they will see what happened. It is not like they closed your account and is still running around here in business. Creditors are hipped with other creditors just like we receive info about them, they are just ahead of the game!:laugh:
14 years 6 months ago #76

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Jay - the referenced credit issuers have a less than stellar reputation. Both of them have had complaints and their going away will ultimately be better for everyone. You may want to think about other options for credit. HSBC, Capital One, Secured Cards with one of the big boy banks (if you even needed a secured card - I have and it works). It is time for the bottom feeders (many that show up as "poor credit" card issuers) to clean up their act or go away. My guess is the Federal Government's new banking protection rules is going to bury most of them!!! :white-flag:
14 years 6 months ago #77

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Jay1, if you see a drop in your score, it's only temporary because the account will stay on your reports for the next 10 years and contribute to your FICO score so you don't have anything to worry about.
14 years 6 months ago #78

Replied by Jay1 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Well its happened to me one of my oldest trades Aspen MC has closed my account. I was checking my reports tonight and saw that Exp was showing my account closed but the other two did not. So I disputed it with Exp and called Aspen. They said that not just mine but all Aspen cards were closed and my account had been sold to Compu Credit whoever that is. He said my account should show closed by consumer, does anybody know what this is going to do to my score?
14 years 6 months ago #79

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

With the Chase Freedom, you do have the option of either cash back or points and you can chose one or the other. If you decided that you wanted to be rewarded with points instead of cash back, you can covert that and not lose what you earned, but if you decide that you don't like the points, you can switch back to cash back.
14 years 7 months ago #80

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

The Freedom will be a better card as long as it offers cashback rewards than the Sapphire's points rewards.
14 years 7 months ago #81

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I don't mind Chase, every CCC has thier own criteria for converting credit cards, but sometimes it takes a few phone calls to get what you want. I think that the Freedom offers better rewards than the Sapphire. The Sapphire may look cool, but I think that even though Chase watered down the rewards structure on the Freedom, it's still a better deal.
14 years 7 months ago #82

I don't like Chase either. The only reason why I have my account open with them is because of age. It used to be a WaMu card so it became a Chase card by default. I guess it will come handy during a rainy day.
14 years 7 months ago #83

Replied by rabbit713 on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

i like all my cards, except my Chase Platinum MasterCard, Chase pisses me off I dont know what is wrong with them, i have had their card since 2004 with a CL of $200, then one measly CLI of $500 for a total of $700, then i asked for increase and they increased to $1200.00, then today i noticed they had a new card that I liked, the Chase Sapphire, so I called to try to convert and said I couldn't because my CL needs to be at least $5000.00, so he did an on the spot request and was denied! Chase pisses me off!!! Bank of America, HSBC, Discover, and American Express satisfy me, why can't Chase do that?
14 years 7 months ago #84

This is 2009 my friend! :laugh:
14 years 7 months ago #85

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

I have read that others have had success without a hard pull. My mother called and asked for a CLI after her 6th statement closed and even though she was denied through the automated system, they didn't pull her report. However, if you get in touch with a rep and ask for a CLI, that's when it will a cost a hard pull.

Oh yeah, see everytime I requested one in the past they only allowed you to talk to an agent. That was 2001.
14 years 7 months ago #86

Replied by MsKiwi on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Hi all! I know I haven't posted in a bit but I've been busy reading and getting caught up on this forum.

HJM, sorry to hear about BOA. You were their biggest cheerleader. Last year I opened a checking savings account so I could build a relationship and eventually open a card based on the info you had given out. I'm so glad I never app'd for a card now.

All the banks I was hoping to eventually build a relationship with someday are acting crazy. I do know it's business and not personal so I guess I'll go where it is business and personal.............. a CU.

After getting caught up on this thread I'm going to pull all my money out of BOA and dump it in NFCU ( I joined last month!) I'll keep my Wells Fargo accounts, they've not gone bonkers yet.

So far none of my cl's have been touched. I've been rebuilding and not apping. I'm staying low until all this blows over.

Hang in there everyone, this ride is bumpier than anyone expected.
14 years 7 months ago #87

I have read that others have had success without a hard pull. My mother called and asked for a CLI after her 6th statement closed and even though she was denied through the automated system, they didn't pull her report. However, if you get in touch with a rep and ask for a CLI, that's when it will a cost a hard pull.
14 years 7 months ago #88

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Has Your Credit Card(s) CL Been Reduced, Closed, or Frozen? If So, Please Ex

Anytime, Colonative. That's why we all sign on everyday; to exchange info. Discover is tough, but I guess that's why they've done ok through everything that's happened in the last year. Since my BOA thing, I am super paranoid, I don't trust any of them.

Yeah, and I will be honest, I pretty much retired my Discover for daily use in 2004 because I have a better cash back card. Discover really likes to see usage, so little usage = no CLI. I can't really complain too much, $7800 isn't too bad, I just like to see an even $10K.
14 years 7 months ago #89

Maybe you ahould call Discover and ask about a CLI.

They do a hard pull and with the way things are these days, probably not a good idea.
14 years 7 months ago #90