when to apply for credit

Replied by Brian1 on topic Re: when to apply for credit

THe BEST advice you'll ever hear about credit cards. Never apply for cards when you need money! This is the road to doom. Apply in bunches, about 3 or 4 at a time. Sit on them and let them age. Once you have 3 or 4 cards don't get more than 1 card a year. Keep utilization down and you'll see the benefits when you go for a new car loan or mortgage.
15 years 9 months ago #16

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: when to apply for credit

how many cards is good to have? and how much is too many

It really all depends on your needs. If you depends or use credit cards a lot and you have low limits, then you would need maybe 5 or 6. But if you don't use credit cards often and have a credit card with a limit enough for your expenses, then that should be fine. It's not really something where everyone is going to have the same amount of cards. Having too many cards will hurt you and stress you out when you lose your job because if you have used and have not paid off those cards with balances, making minimum payments will be difficult. So, my suggestion is to have one card with a balance good enough for your expenses.

Also, the more cards you have, the more due dates you have to worry about and that increases the chance of having a late payment which will lead you to paying late fees.
15 years 9 months ago #17

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: when to apply for credit

I think that you should really have no more than 4-6. ANy more kind of looks excessive. I have six cards and I am working on not appkying for anymore cards. That is why I am part of the Credit Card Addicts club here. The second thing I would say is don't take on anymore cards that you can handle or afford because it is loaned money and you have to pay it back.
15 years 9 months ago #18

Replied by mousepad on topic Re: when to apply for credit

how many cards is good to have? and how much is too many?:shocked:
15 years 9 months ago #19
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: when to apply for credit

but i want a hooters card like everyone else
its not fair

Mousepad, this is where we go wrong. Do not run for a card that everyone else have and do not feel that it is unfair. I know the feeling of wanting a card that everyone else have and that is how I lost nearly 70 or 80 points from my scores. Focus on what you have for at least one year (or just like hjm mentioned) and then those cards will start opening the doors for you. I am in the same boat, waiting for teir one cards, but I had to put myself in the credit rehab because I was out there doing too much. Here is a link that will give you a good example of what I am talking about]https://www.financeglobe.com/SocialNet/forum/showthread.php?t=361[/URL]

I really messed up...lol :laugh:
15 years 9 months ago #20
  • eric
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by eric on topic Re: when to apply for credit

I was actually shocked when Maxe said she wasnt approved by Macy's...Macy's and Hooters are the 2 easier cards to get.:white-flag:
15 years 9 months ago #21

Wait another 6 months while making payments on-time before applying for it again if you really want it.
15 years 9 months ago #22

but i want a hooters card like everyone else
its not fair
15 years 9 months ago #23

Mousepad, you have great cards. Just keep making your payments on time and you will see a jump in your scores in the long run.
15 years 9 months ago #24

capital one in april 3,000 credit limit target in may 200.00

ok i am lost capital one gave you 3000 and target gave you 200 but macys gave you the finger ?
thats does not sound right to me and heres why
a year ago when i was in my mid 600's capital one gave me 300 and aspire gave 300.
now last week i was given
hooters THE FINGER
Dillards THE FINGER
target THE FINGER
walmart THE FINGER
jc penny THE FINGER

i was given love from
macy's LOVE 300
best buy LOVE 300
orchard LOVE still waiting on the amount
i never missed a payment on the two card i have had for over a year now and my scores are
Experian 629
Equifax 584
TransUnion 576
so i would think if no one else gives you a card then macy's would if cap1 gave you all that love. you are so lucky and just dont know it
i only have 1000 on cap1 and 750 on aspire
15 years 9 months ago #25
  • Meya
  • Meya's Avatar Topic Author
  • Finance Commander
  • Finance Commander

Replied by Meya on topic Re: when to apply for credit

Have you pulled your credit report lately? If not, follow this link, it is fast and free. https://www.financeglobe.com/SocialNet/resources/annualcreditreport
If you need help, please repost so that someone in here can guide you through. Also, if you do not mind sharing your credit background, we can really give you a better answer on what your next step should be.
15 years 9 months ago #26

Maxepic, did you receive the reason for denial on the Macy's card? I'd say wait for another 6-12 months to say the least until your score raises from making those on-time payments.
15 years 9 months ago #27

Replied by maxepic on topic Re: when to apply for credit

denied by macy's how soon shold i apply again
15 years 9 months ago #28

Replied by Rockin35 on topic Based on what I've read

Based on what I've read so far, you should have no problem getting the Macys Store card. The Macys store card is one of the best you can have. The CLI's are fairly generous as you can go into a store and request one through customer service every 90 days. Going into the store like Meya suggested is your best bet to apply. The instant application takes less time and your approval rate is higher. I would say,now is the time for you to go ahead and apply. Let us know if it worked out!! Rockin35!
15 years 10 months ago #29

Replied by hjm331 on topic If those are the only

If those are the only cards you have right now, then go for it. It's better to apply for it in-store because you most likely will have a better chance of approval and get a higher limit than you would by applying online.

Good Luck
15 years 10 months ago #30