What's the best credit card I can get where I'm at now

Replied by Roughdraft on topic Re: What's the best credit card I can get where I'm at now

Hi everyone,I started my credit over again after bankruptcy..I currently have a 618 tu, 645 exp, 608 eq..I was looking to get a new card that offered better then my orchard bank card, I still wanna keep it since its my first and since I was discharged..it's upsetting having to start over since I had Amex cards with no limits and other cards with no problems..any help will be great

Well, I have to say I think you have some pretty good scores for such a recent BK. I think though that sometimes we forget that our scores are only a part of the list of criteria that qualify you for credit. A lot of times card companies look at how soon your BK is. Typically, the longer you've had it, the better. Some companies may not issue you credit at all, while its being reported to your file, some may not offer ANY if they decide to.

For someone who had prime cards in the past it will be hard to have to carry cards with higher interest rates, and high annual fees, but its a necessary part of rebuilding. It would be a good idea to keep your orchard card, and Capital One has been great for those of us with less than perfect credit, but we have been seeing a lot of mixed reactions from them right now. They just aquired $31.3B in outstanding balances, so I think they will be unlikely to give credit away too freely. We have some people with less than perfect credit still get approved, but also we have seen some with perfect credit get denied so its a real guess with them right now. Secured credit cards are a great start, but again I would call and tell them about your situation before actually applying. Some companies like Citi and Bank of America that do offer secured cards are still pretty demanding in their requirements. Unfortunally, with the Capital One, HSBC aquisiton, people rebuilding will have fewer options. Orchard bank did offer a secured card as well, but Capital One will probably just offer one secured card overall.

Use the FG Scorematch to find some cards you might be eligible for, then check the credit applications status section and there is a question where it asks if they have had a BK. If you see people answer yes, but are still getting approved, those might be good cards to start. Try retail cards, a lot of good ones are offered by GEMoney and then there are the subprime lenders, such as First Premier, Allied, Credit One which come with high annual and monthly fees. If you are just wanting to rebuild I would first try Secured cards that convert to unsecured cards (Capital One does not, I've tried) and one subprime, but it will probably take a few years before you can get decent cards with no annual fees that offer rewards.
11 years 9 months ago #1
  • WeHateUglyCredit.com

Replied by WeHateUglyCredit.com on topic Re: What's the best credit card I can get where I'm at now

Capital One is one of the better cards out there with respect to lower credit scores and interest rate / fees. If you have $1000 or more available, I would suggest obtaining a secured credit card from Bank of America, Wells Fargo or US Bank. The annual fee is only $39 and it will have a great impact on your credit score. With where you are at now, you should easily be able to increase your scores to around 675 - 700, provided you maximize the potential of the credit you already have established and any new credit you obtain. I have posted other information on other posts regarding credit repair and simple quick ways in which to increase your scores.
11 years 9 months ago #2
  • EMEM181818
  • EMEM181818's Avatar Topic Author

was created by EMEM181818

Hi everyone, I got discharged from bk in 10/2011, I currently have a new Acura loan I got with. 1.9% interest last month, a Honda financial atv loan I got in 1/2012 and my orchard bank card opened 11/2011 with now a $500 limit.. All payment are on timeI never missed one since I started my credit over again after bankruptcy..I currently have a 618 tu, 645 exp, 608 eq..I was looking to get a new card that offered better then my orchard bank card, I still wanna keep it since its my first and since I was discharged..it's upsetting having to start over since I had Amex cards with no limits and other cards with no problems..any help will be great
11 years 9 months ago #3