If you have American Express READ THIS

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

So AMEX CLD's their own employees too? :shocked:
15 years 9 months ago #91

Replied by cireone on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

So I was talking to a customer today at my job who happens to work for the AmEx call center. She is a lead Rep for the business accounts. Well, I asked her about their practices and she said that consumer-wise, AmEx is horrible but business account-wise they are top-notch. She stated that credit scores are not what they loook for as awhole when making a decision to approve you. Alot has to do with your income and your debt ratio. I think she said if its above 3% of every hundred of your income they most likely will deny. I dont remember the exact words but if in the event you have an existing account and your debt ratio exceeds what they view as positive, they will decrease your limit. She told me it was done to her too. Anyways, just thought I'd share this info.
15 years 9 months ago #92

I don't know why AMEX is acting like this. Banks who have less profit don't practice any of these acts. AMEX should be happy with the money make off the consumers who carry a black card. The annual fee for that card is way more than my annual income.
15 years 9 months ago #93

Replied by shark6 on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

I forgot to say that when my DH took up AMEX on their pre-approved Plaintum card (he got multiple paper offers and a link on their site where he pays his bills), they did a hard pull.

We pulled his credit report and there it was. I didn't think that they would do a hard pull for a pre-approved card especially as he has 3 other cards with them.

We also noticed that they do a soft pull it seems like every 2-3 mths but I knew this. On my daughter's report, they review her it seems like every 2 months.
15 years 9 months ago #94

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

AMEX is a mess and everytime I read a new posting or a new article it just confirms it even more
15 years 9 months ago #95

Everytime I ask AMEX for a CLI on my Gold Delta Skymiles card, I receive a denial letter stating that my score is too low for them to give me an increase. They must be pulling soft inquiries when it comes to giving CLI's. I guess they don't base their CLI's on account history anymore.
15 years 9 months ago #96

Replied by cireone on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

SO I requested for a CLI online and got the message that it needs further processing. Well, out of curiosity and being impatient, I decided to call the CSR. She stated that there is no record of me requesting a CLI online. We both thought it was odd. So she asked if I wanted to request it through her. I agreed and all she asked me was the four-digit number above account number, my income, and the amount to add to the total credit line. She was helpful in that she informed me of the different outcomes of the requests. But she said that final decisions are given through a letter regardless if given the incerease or not. So Im just waitng on the decision.
15 years 9 months ago #97

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

I feel more confidant with my Chase cards than AMEX.
15 years 9 months ago #98

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

There was nothing I could really do being that it was in the terms and conditions. Im just going to payit off and use it sparingly. I feel more confident using my WaMu cards if do have to make a purchase.

Thanks for sharing Cireone. Hmm I am starting to really think twice about applying for an AMEX card when my credit is back up to par
15 years 9 months ago #99

Replied by cireone on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

There was nothing I could really do being that it was in the terms and conditions. Im just going to payit off and use it sparingly. I feel more confident using my WaMu cards if do have to make a purchase.
15 years 9 months ago #100

Replied by Meya on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Its a shame that you all have to do this.

Check this out, remember the comercial about the guy in the restraunt not having money to pay for his food because something went wrong?

How about the one where amex will book your travel for you?

Well if all of this is true then what happens when they allow you an extended limit? Do they freeze your card after the good is paid for? Ok so they book your travel for you, then do they freeze the card after the booking and then you are embarassed because you can not use the card for other things? Come on amex, who is going to have their 1040 or any tax return on them during vacation times!
:dumbfounded: :upset:
15 years 9 months ago #101

That is why I am going to pay off AMEX when the bill comes and not use it very often, then they really can't really get anything out of me. Except what I owe (I'll keep it under $50 and use it every 3 months).
15 years 9 months ago #102

Replied by Meya on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

See what I mean! :upset: :upset:
15 years 9 months ago #103

I have an Delta Gold SkyMiles form American Express for more than a year. I nearly used almost all the $2,000 CL to pay off some bills. I steadily paid it down to half of the balance. They then approved an upgrade to the platinum card. I steadily paid down the balance again and paid $300. As soon as the next statement was available to view via internet there was a discrepancy. It stated that I had paid the $300 but it was never credited to my balance. that raised a red flag and I called AMEX. The rep told me nothing was wrong with my account. He stated that my CL has been reduced by $500 and that he didnt know of any wrong doing with the $300. After 30 mintutes of arguing as to where my payment went he finally told me that they took it and he doesnt know as to what they do with it. I was so pissed I hung up. I read the terms and in very fine print it stated that they will reduce CL if they feel a need to.
Funny I recieved a letter from AMEX couple of days later stating that on top of my credit score I was unable to sufficiently pay my balance, HELLO Ive been paying way more than the minimum every month. What does that show???? I could afford.
I just didnt understand why they approved me in the first place if they didnt have the confidence in me having the card.
I lost all respect for AMEX.

AMEX has been doing this a lot recently and even to people that PIF and have no lates. There are a lot of horror stories out there about AMEX doing this. The excuse is probably to offset the people who stoped paying.
15 years 9 months ago #104

Replied by KMoney on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

I have an Delta Gold SkyMiles form American Express for more than a year. I nearly used almost all the $2,000 CL to pay off some bills. I steadily paid it down to half of the balance. They then approved an upgrade to the platinum card. I steadily paid down the balance again and paid $300. As soon as the next statement was available to view via internet there was a discrepancy. It stated that I had paid the $300 but it was never credited to my balance. that raised a red flag and I called AMEX. The rep told me nothing was wrong with my account. He stated that my CL has been reduced by $500 and that he didnt know of any wrong doing with the $300. After 30 mintutes of arguing as to where my payment went he finally told me that they took it and he doesnt know as to what they do with it. I was so pissed I hung up. I read the terms and in very fine print it stated that they will reduce CL if they feel a need to.
Funny I recieved a letter from AMEX couple of days later stating that on top of my credit score I was unable to sufficiently pay my balance, HELLO Ive been paying way more than the minimum every month. What does that show???? I could afford.
I just didnt understand why they approved me in the first place if they didnt have the confidence in me having the card.
I lost all respect for AMEX.

That is clearly insane, for goodness sake AMEX has your history that you are an ontime paying customer, so what gives?
15 years 9 months ago #105