If you have American Express READ THIS

Replied by cireone on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

I have an Delta Gold SkyMiles form American Express for more than a year. I nearly used almost all the $2,000 CL to pay off some bills. I steadily paid it down to half of the balance. They then approved an upgrade to the platinum card. I steadily paid down the balance again and paid $300. As soon as the next statement was available to view via internet there was a discrepancy. It stated that I had paid the $300 but it was never credited to my balance. that raised a red flag and I called AMEX. The rep told me nothing was wrong with my account. He stated that my CL has been reduced by $500 and that he didnt know of any wrong doing with the $300. After 30 mintutes of arguing as to where my payment went he finally told me that they took it and he doesnt know as to what they do with it. I was so pissed I hung up. I read the terms and in very fine print it stated that they will reduce CL if they feel a need to.
Funny I recieved a letter from AMEX couple of days later stating that on top of my credit score I was unable to sufficiently pay my balance, HELLO Ive been paying way more than the minimum every month. What does that show???? I could afford.
I just didnt understand why they approved me in the first place if they didnt have the confidence in me having the card.
I lost all respect for AMEX.
15 years 9 months ago #106

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Tell us how that goes!
15 years 9 months ago #107

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

I am going to call BofA tomorrow, ask for a manager, and ask them to double my CL's or else I will close my accounts. I am going to put them in a situation where they will not say no. Eric better hope that he won't be the one in that situation. lol
15 years 9 months ago #108

i'm going to do what I can to keep my credit limits the way they are. I don't want them decreased!
15 years 9 months ago #109

Replied by Meya on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

It gives you the jitters, but since my cc's are not that high in limit, I think I will be cool.:cool:
15 years 9 months ago #110

Replied by yoyo11 on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Keys, thank you for the infomation....very interesting..
15 years 9 months ago #111

This is happening all across the credit card market. Thankfully, I have not had that happen to me, yet!
15 years 9 months ago #112

Replied by keys on topic This is scary!

15 years 9 months ago #113

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

I am probably not eligable for the card member offers yet. Maybe if I have been with them for a little longer it will show up.
15 years 9 months ago #114

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

I got a an AMEX Delta Sky Miles Card in July, 07 with a $1,000 CL. In December, I asked for a CLI to $5,000 and they gave it to me. I haven't clicked that button since then. I am thinking about asking for another CLI, but I have some questions.
[LIST

[*]What do they base a CLI on? Your payment history with them?
[*]Do they pull your credit history? If so, is it a hard inquiry?
[*]Is it better to call in or hit the button after I pay my bill online?
[*]What is the next easiest card to get from AMEX?
[/LIST]
While I was logged in last week, there was an option to "see if any Cardmember offers were available to me." When I clicked the button, four cards came up in this order]

Try calling CS and ask them these questions. AMEX CS is pretty good so sure they'll guide you into the right direction.
15 years 9 months ago #115

Replied by PM49TD on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

:white-flag:
15 years 9 months ago #116

Replied by theo11 on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

I got a an AMEX Delta Sky Miles Card in July, 07 with a $1,000 CL. In December, I asked for a CLI to $5,000 and they gave it to me. I haven't clicked that button since then. I am thinking about asking for another CLI, but I have some questions.
  • What do they base a CLI on? Your payment history with them?
  • Do they pull your credit history? If so, is it a hard inquiry?
  • Is it better to call in or hit the button after I pay my bill online?
  • What is the next easiest card to get from AMEX?
While I was logged in last week, there was an option to "see if any Cardmember offers were available to me." When I clicked the button, four cards came up in this order: Platinum, Rewards Plus Gold, Blue, and Blue Sky. In previous posts (like last summer), I believe Eric said that Jet Blue was the next easiest to get after the Sky Miles Card. I am not interested in one of their charge cards. Thanks for your help, all.
15 years 9 months ago #117

They call 'in good standing' as 'paid in full'. Since my Amex is totally paid off, I only have about 350 points for my Amex rewards.
15 years 9 months ago #118

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Need advice on American Express Cards

What is bad about the rewards is that when I had about $600 or so on the card somewhere it said that the earned points will show up on your account when you are in good standing.

Get out of here!!! :shocked: :shocked: :confused: What do they call good standing?
15 years 9 months ago #119

I have to agree that Amex is funny and is a pain at times. In a few months I shall use them for a small purchase and pay it off. What is bad about the rewards is that when I had about $600 or so on the card somewhere it said that the earned points will show up on your account when you are in good standing.
15 years 9 months ago #120