If you have American Express READ THIS

Replied by Eldarwen on topic Re: The American Express thread

I just use mine for petty things like picking up milk at CVS. I didn't make the choice of extending credit to people extend credit to those who were a big risk. Chase and Discover have treated me well enough to keep me happy.
15 years 2 months ago #1

Replied by Brian23 on topic Re: The American Express thread

I agree. I am not fortunate enough to have their card yet (from what I've heard I don't really want to be right now), but some of my co-workers are venting about the same things. Granted in their defense the economy is not doing to well at this time, but between them and GE, they are killing their reputation in the Prime and Sub-prime credit market. When this is all over and they are hurting for business again, all the customers that they burned from their BS won't be giving them the time of day ever again. I say, pay off the AMEX and just let it sit. I doubt they will CLD you any further. Just a thought.
15 years 2 months ago #2

Replied by Eldarwen on topic The American Express thread

I have seen a lot of Amex reviews just about everywhere on the web and decided to start an Amex thread. You can gripe about Amex, sing its praises.

I will start off. In August of 2007, I got an Amex Blue with a $2,000 CL. I thought it was a great card. In June of '08, I decided to convert to the Clear card because it suited my needs better. I recieved the card 2 months (they said it would take 2 billing cycles for the conversion to go through) later and everything was great. I log in one day and see that I got a CLD. They decided to reduce my CL by $1,500. Boy, was I mad. They didn't like the balances that I had on two cards and I carried a balance on my Amex card for too long. I was nowhere near my CL on any card including Amex. My money and my buisness is as good as the next person's. Amex is scaring off a lot of potentail customers, current customers and losing customers. I think that they are hurting themselves in the long run by ruining their reputation.
15 years 2 months ago #3

Replied by hjm331 on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

I would stop applying for cards too if I had a large limits. The limits I have right now barely help me out.
15 years 8 months ago #4

Replied by smcc on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Meya, I agree with your opinion. I'm not going to apply, but I was just wondering because nowhere in the paperwork sent to me did it say about anything about being pre screened. I was thinking it was sent because of the recent airline ticket purchase. I haven't applied for a card since 2004, trying to keep the hard hits and subsequent score drops out of my credit life.
15 years 8 months ago #5

Replied by Meya on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Meya, I tried the pre-approval site too and that's the message that I got even though I have 2 BOA cards. The best thing to do is to apply for one of their cards when you feel you're ready.

Thanks Hjm331, rob, and kmoney. You all know that I am not tripping off of amex nor bofa right about now. I was just showing what happens when I go to the preapproval site. Hjm331, you know my turn will be in the mid 09 for the good cards. I think Chase is going to be my first one, but I know that my scores are going to take at least a -100 hit because I am closing my old trade line cards after I get my new teir one cards. I do not want to be botherd with Orchard again.
15 years 8 months ago #6

Meya is too funny. Have you ever considered a profession in stand-up comedy?

Naaaw, I just copy off of my husband, he is the main goffy one.:laugh:
15 years 8 months ago #7

Shark6, here you go]https://www201.americanexpress.com/cards/Applyfservlet?csi=0/0/b/510&from=580[/URL]

Thanks HJm331, and yes you are correct, it is a soft pull. There is no way I would have touched it if it weren't:laugh:
15 years 8 months ago #8

Good Morning All

If he collections and tax issue is on the report regardless if it was paid or not, I would say wait. I dont think amex want to see too much of nothing on your report right about now. I think the credit crunch is making it harder for people with paid co's to get a card with teir one cards. I have heard of some people getting approvevd with paid co's and past derogs from amex, but it is very rare compared to denials from amex. If you choose to apply, I will cross my fingers for you buddy. But at the same time I will be having slight heart attacks or irregular heart beats while applying
:laugh: :white-flag:
15 years 8 months ago #9

Smcc, I'd say apply for it. It is the easiest AMEX card to get approved for. They approve me for a $1k limit with 6 months of credit history lol
15 years 8 months ago #10

Replied by smcc on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Good Morning All:

Recently purchased an airline ticket with Delta. Yesterday I received an application for a American Express Gold Delta Sky Miles credit card. My question: Was this application sent to me because of my recent purchase or was I pre screened by American Express? I have some collections and tax issues that I have paid off and thought I would be off limits to American Express because of it.

Thanks for your time in this matter................
15 years 8 months ago #11

It's a soft pull.
15 years 8 months ago #12

Replied by shark6 on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Thanks HJM331. I'm assuming that this site does a soft pull.
15 years 8 months ago #13

15 years 8 months ago #14

Replied by shark6 on topic Re: If you have American Express READ THIS

Regarding Amex, yes, their processing fee to merchants is higher than for Visa or Mastercard and I believe that this is the #1 reason why it is less accepted than the other 2.

However, from the consumer perspective, I can testify that I would much rather have this card in my wallet, especially when traveling than any other card as they will come through for you in ways that perhaps you think only your family with money and empathy would.

This is the #1 reason why we have Amex Green, Amex Clear, Amex Gold and Amex Platinum. We don't keep high balances but it is there if we need it.

Now, knock on wood hoping that we won't be FR'ed.

p.s MEYA, where is the pre-approval site that you are going to for Amex and is it a soft pull?

Thanks.
15 years 8 months ago #15