Walmart Cards Help!

Replied by classy75 on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

I don't know about your experience with Legacy Visa, but I have found them to be very good about things. I have receiving increases in CL and frankly, I don't even use the card any more. I started with I believe a $350 Cl and now it is over $1000. This card has been in my portfolio for about 5 years. I am not sure about your payments or paying more than the minimum, yet with my card I carried a balance for the first 4 years. Now I have had it paid down to zero for over a year. I hope this helps.

I wonder what I am doing wrong. I have never been late and I always pay at least 3 times the min. payment. I recently requested a cli and was declined. They gave me an annual fee waiver to pacify me after I threatened to close my account. I have had my account since June 2009 and the credit limit is just 450.00. Any tips you may have are welcomed!
12 years 1 month ago #16

Replied by MrVoiceGuy on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

I don't know about your experience with Legacy Visa, but I have found them to be very good about things. I have receiving increases in CL and frankly, I don't even use the card any more. I started with I believe a $350 Cl and now it is over $1000. This card has been in my portfolio for about 5 years. I am not sure about your payments or paying more than the minimum, yet with my card I carried a balance for the first 4 years. Now I have had it paid down to zero for over a year. I hope this helps.

Interesting and scary. I am just really starting to get to a point where I am being accepted for credit again. There was a period of time that I would not apply for anything because the answer was always no. I applied for the Walmart Card and thought they would deny my application, but low and behold, I got an instant approval for a 500.00 limit. My current balance is 29.00 with them. I have applied for other GECB produts, I got approved for a Penney's Card, Belks and PayPal Smart Connect. I also got denied for a Chevron Gas Card, a Dillard's Card and a BOA Card. I am waiting on a decision from Capital One. I know, I got too happy and I have slowed it all the way down. I hope I haven't shot myself in the toe with all the inquiries. I now realize rebuilding is not an overnight thing. I had a Legacy Visa Card for three years and the limit is only 450.00. I have always paid on time and more than the minimum amount. The limit started at 250. Not to mention, the fees are kind of ridiculous. I have been learning a lot by reading posts on this forum. Thanks for your much needed insight. I welcome any advice that you can give me.

12 years 1 month ago #17

Interesting! In my credit record was Walmart, Kohls Department Store, and Capital One soft pulling regularily. Finally, I challenged them on it. Found some were monitoring to see if I would take on too much debt in which case they would either lower my limits or close the account. The other answer was to send me promotions (discounts) that they wanted to be sure my credit could handle if I took them (like 30% off of whatever). Also, I had a Juniper Bank Credit Card that lowered my whopping $1,200 CL to $500 because lack of fully uitlizing the CL and they were checking the CB's too every month (I closed them and when they asked me to try them again, I said put your company somewhere in a very dark place). Another one that did this was Wells Fargo where I told them to knock it off and finally pulled my checking, savings, investments, insurances and CD's so they had no legal reason to be monthly reviewing my CB's. Note, since getting after everybody the snooping stopped!!!

Interesting and scary. I am just really starting to get to a point where I am being accepted for credit again. There was a period of time that I would not apply for anything because the answer was always no. I applied for the Walmart Card and thought they would deny my application, but low and behold, I got an instant approval for a 500.00 limit. My current balance is 29.00 with them. I have applied for other GECB produts, I got approved for a Penney's Card, Belks and PayPal Smart Connect. I also got denied for a Chevron Gas Card, a Dillard's Card and a BOA Card. I am waiting on a decision from Capital One. I know, I got too happy and I have slowed it all the way down. I hope I haven't shot myself in the toe with all the inquiries. I now realize rebuilding is not an overnight thing. I had a Legacy Visa Card for three years and the limit is only 450.00. I have always paid on time and more than the minimum amount. The limit started at 250. Not to mention, the fees are kind of ridiculous. I have been learning a lot by reading posts on this forum. Thanks for your much needed insight. I welcome any advice that you can give me.
12 years 1 month ago #18

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

Yes, but they were pulling prior to me signing up. I just signed up on February 14, but they pulled me for January, too.

I am loving this site! I hope I can learn from you all.

Interesting! In my credit record was Walmart, Kohls Department Store, and Capital One soft pulling regularily. Finally, I challenged them on it. Found some were monitoring to see if I would take on too much debt in which case they would either lower my limits or close the account. The other answer was to send me promotions (discounts) that they wanted to be sure my credit could handle if I took them (like 30% off of whatever). Also, I had a Juniper Bank Credit Card that lowered my whopping $1,200 CL to $500 because lack of fully uitlizing the CL and they were checking the CB's too every month (I closed them and when they asked me to try them again, I said put your company somewhere in a very dark place). Another one that did this was Wells Fargo where I told them to knock it off and finally pulled my checking, savings, investments, insurances and CD's so they had no legal reason to be monthly reviewing my CB's. Note, since getting after everybody the snooping stopped!!!
12 years 1 month ago #19

Did you sign up for a free monthly FICO score with GECRB/Wal-Mart? They will soft pull TransUnion montly to give you your most updated score. Just a thought.

Yes, but they were pulling prior to me signing up. I just signed up on February 14, but they pulled me for January, too.

I am loving this site! I hope I can learn from you all.
12 years 1 month ago #20

Replied by patrick12 on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

Is it customary for Walmart to check your credit monthly? I opened an account in December and I noticed several soft inquiries from them since then.

Did you sign up for a free monthly FICO score with GECRB/Wal-Mart? They will soft pull TransUnion montly to give you your most updated score. Just a thought. :fun:
12 years 1 month ago #21

Is it customary for Walmart to check your credit monthly? I opened an account in December and I noticed several soft inquiries from them since then.
12 years 1 month ago #22

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

Just don't rack up lots of hard inquiries! Each credit application will use one hard inquire, too many of these will especially look bad in your situation. :scared:
12 years 6 months ago #23

Replied by patrick12 on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

Nick is dead on, I also wanted to point out Barklays is also BK friendly, the Barklay Visa card is great as well as the Itunes Visa, Travelocity, US Airways to name a few! JC Pennys, Macy's, and most department store cards too! Just have to do your homework and use your inquires sparingly!
12 years 6 months ago #24

Replied by hammer23 on topic Re: Walmart Cards Help!

Walmart is BK friendly, but normally wants 2 years post BK. They normally start you off with a store only card and then move you into their Walmart/Discover product.

HSBC is good post BK as well. Apply at www.householdbank.com . if you qualify there is one card they offer that has no annual fee (although the rate is 19.99%). It also offers a 9 month 0% intro period. The best choice I have found is your local Credit Union. They will usually give you a small limit to start with but will grow with you. Normally their rates are low and there is no fee.

If you go the HSBC route, you will find out which card you qualify for and get a decision instantly.

Kohls(Cap One) is BK Friendly as is Best Buy (HSBC).

Hope this helps

Nick
12 years 6 months ago #25

was created by Posey

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I filed for chapter 7 and was discharged last October. As of this October, it's been exactly a year since being discharged.

I have received offers from Capital One and have applied for one of the offers a couple of months ago, and got approved. It is my first and only credit card since being discharged. I never had a Capital One card so no previous history with them.

My DH has not received any offers in the mail since being discharged and have not applied for any. So we opted to wait it out to at least a year of being out of BK before applying for any credit cards for him. I have read on numerous threads and postings in various forums that Capital One is BK friendly. But it seems to be a toss up because some people who have BKed on them and had previous history...still got approved and some people got denied. My DH did have a card with them that was included into the BK. It was...$700 or $500. I went on their website this morning and used their pre-selected option to see which cards would be good for him. Applied for a card and it said they will need to review the application and send a letter in the mail in about 5-7 business days. I have a iffy feeling that his application might be denied.

I started looking into other options in case it does come by denied. I looked into the Hooters card but there is no where on the website that we can apply for it online. Is that still a card people are applying for? How do you go about applying for one?

Also, looked into the Walmart card. There are 2 cards - one is Walmart Discover and the other is Walmart Credit Card. Which card is BK friendly? Is the Walmart Credit Card a store card - only can be used at Walmart or can I use it everywhere?

Any other BK friendly cards out there you can recommend?

Thanks!
12 years 6 months ago #26