Amex

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Amex

New Car ? Nope nada. Let someone else eat the depreciation for the first two years. Got a 2007, 29K miles. Have a go to work car Cnative, so this one stays in the garage. Thanks though, I just hope like I said that people who are AMEX users know their card stands behind them......

Good choice, buying a new car is the biggest waist. My dad worked as an auto mechanic technician for 25 years , we never bought a new car in my whole life. At times, are driveway was a parking lot of used cars he was buying and selling! He primarily worked for GM at Chevrolet dealerships... Now, I don't hate on GM, but when he passed and my mom needed a car I did convince her to buy a Toyta highlander. Haha... He'd be pissed, but she needed something reliable...!! :cheesing: :cheesing: :cheesing: :cheesing:

I personally wouldn't mind a Subaru Forester or Impreza. Last winter I almost bought one, I even went to my credit union and got approved for a loan; I ended up using the hard inquiry on my Classic Visa from the credit union. When I get my taxes next year I may consider buying a scooter, specifically the Honda Metropolitan. They're $1,700 brand new and would be great for my living situation.
13 years 6 months ago #91

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Amex

New Car ? Nope nada. Let someone else eat the depreciation for the first two years. Got a 2007, 29K miles. Have a go to work car Cnative, so this one stays in the garage. Thanks though, I just hope like I said that people who are AMEX users know their card stands behind them......
13 years 6 months ago #92

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Amex

You know what Wanderer ? When I was talking to Customer Service and told her of the expense, she (so I assume ) did the same thing I can do at the AMEX website, use the "check your spending ability" link to see if you qualify for a purchase.

Nevertheless Wanderer, I would have done the same thing if it had been a Visa / MC.

Excellent. Enjoy that new car smell!
13 years 6 months ago #93

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Today I received my Zync in the mail.

Congrats again!
13 years 6 months ago #94

Appreciate it Eugene66, hopefully its a message for all of us AMEX users that yes, they won't let you down with large purchases. Of course if your skeptical, give them a call and make sure :cheesing: !
13 years 6 months ago #95

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Amex

You know what Wanderer ? When I was talking to Customer Service and told her of the expense, she (so I assume ) did the same thing I can do at the AMEX website, use the "check your spending ability" link to see if you qualify for a purchase.

Nevertheless Wanderer, I would have done the same thing if it had been a Visa / MC.

That's great smcc and I wish you much continued success with American Express.:cool:
13 years 6 months ago #96

13 years 6 months ago #97

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Amex

This Monday I purchased a car (Monday was Columbus Day ). Since I couldn't get the down payment from the bank I used my AMEX so the dealer could get the needed funds. I made sure to call AMEX before going to make sure the transaction would go through......... didn't want to be surprised. You might say "why not just write a check ?", stopped writing checks years ago.

Now AMEX has never let me down, ever, but at that amount I think I would double check any card I had to make sure the transaction would go through. Plus the points, the points

Awesome...! Now American Express is showing you respect! :cool:
13 years 6 months ago #98

This Monday I purchased a car (Monday was Columbus Day ). Since I couldn't get the down payment from the bank I used my AMEX so the dealer could get the needed funds. I made sure to call AMEX before going to make sure the transaction would go through......... didn't want to be surprised. You might say "why not just write a check ?", stopped writing checks years ago.

Now AMEX has never let me down, ever, but at that amount I think I would double check any card I had to make sure the transaction would go through. Plus the points, the points :cheesing: !
13 years 6 months ago #99

Replied by Finance Globe on topic Re: Amex

Sweet! :fun:
13 years 6 months ago #100

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Credit Card Questions

Today I received my Zync in the mail. :cheesing:
13 years 6 months ago #101

I'm not worried about it. The number did start with a 37. The only thing I can think of is this

Usually if a card expires 10/10 you have until 10/31/10 to use it. Plus if the retailer didn't like the expiration date they likely would have not let you proceed with submitting the order. Who knows.....
13 years 6 months ago #102

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Amex

Interesting. Chase used to do that, they would give out the account number and allow up to $500 in purchases. I never tried it though.

Did the number they give you start with 37? ALL AMEX cards start with a 37, so if they gave you 3499 that is not a real number. You will become very familiar with the 3499 number because they use a separate internal number starting 3499 on statements (hidden in code) and to report to the bureaus. That is the only thing I can think of as to why it didn't work.

Another possibilty is that AMEX uses two different CID #'s. On the back of the cards there is the traditional 3 digit CID and on the front there is a 4 digit code. I believe the 4 digit code on the front is internal (you will need it to register the card on AMEX's website for account online). I don't think a merchant has ever wanted the 4 digit code but I could be mistaken? Best to let it be for now and wait to get the card. I wouldn't be concerned if you don't have an email from Amex or a phone message.

I'm not worried about it. The number did start with a 37. The only thing I can think of is this: the temporary expiration is October 2010, could the retailer of thought it was already expired?
13 years 6 months ago #103

Not really sure...

Although, I already has something odd occurred with my American Express (and I haven't even received the card yet). They provided me with the card number, expiration date, and temporary CID number to encourage me to make an online purchase now. So I attempted and about five minutes after my order, to American Apparel online, I received an email saying they had trouble with my payment information and my order has been canceled. All the numbers were inputted correctly, as I had copied an pasted them. I just used an alternate payment method, but was surprised the system didn't work because American Express seemed so encouraging about me using my card now.

Interesting. Chase used to do that, they would give out the account number and allow up to $500 in purchases. I never tried it though.

Did the number they give you start with 37? ALL AMEX cards start with a 37, so if they gave you 3499 that is not a real number. You will become very familiar with the 3499 number because they use a separate internal number starting 3499 on statements (hidden in code) and to report to the bureaus. That is the only thing I can think of as to why it didn't work.

Another possibilty is that AMEX uses two different CID #'s. On the back of the cards there is the traditional 3 digit CID and on the front there is a 4 digit code. I believe the 4 digit code on the front is internal (you will need it to register the card on AMEX's website for account online). I don't think a merchant has ever wanted the 4 digit code but I could be mistaken? Best to let it be for now and wait to get the card. I wouldn't be concerned if you don't have an email from Amex or a phone message.
13 years 6 months ago #104

Okay Colonative, Wanderer, even you Joeyman (and by the way congrats ), answer this question, how and why does your spending ability with AMEX change from time to time with a Charge Card.

Example

Are you referring to the "Check Spend Availability" on the website? I've never used it, but that is there even for my Blue card with a $10,500 limit. I am sure they have some sort of internal formula. They get an updated credit score monthly (this is the biggest determination) and I am sure it depends on what the current balance on your AMEX card(s) are each day.
13 years 6 months ago #105