Amex

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Amex

Ok, So I have stated that I have a "weakness" for the Platinum Card. What does AMEX do ? They bring back the "you can upgrade to a Platinum" link back on my Account Summary Page.

I have had this opportunity for the longest but just stayed away. Now they (AMEX) want to make sure that I don't forget :fun: !

O0000000000h How I want to upgrade !

I can hear my fellow members now, "Want a little cheese with that whine :cheesing: ?"

Have a good day everyone !
13 years 1 month ago #61

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Amex

Thanks Colo, I forgot about that!

Isn't that great? So with the exception of the inquiry (that will fall off in two years anyway) nobody would be the wiser that you just opened a new account. I have heard of times where Amex didnt backdate in error, but a phone call can fix that. Enjoy it!
13 years 2 months ago #62

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Amex

Congrats! I am very happy with my Amex Blue. I don't have the cash version, but the Membership Rewards are also nice. Make sure you check out your credit bureau...one of the best things about Amex is that your original Member Since date follows you to additional accounts. So your new Blue Cash should report as opened 1/2010 since you opened your Zync last year.

Thanks Colo, I forgot about that! :cheesing: :cheesing: I don't actually have a credit monitoring service right now, actually haven't for the past two months. Now that I've reached my American Express goals I just haven't felt it was a necessary expense. I can see my score monthly via my credit union online banking.
13 years 2 months ago #63

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Amex

Just got approved for the Blue Cash! Credit limit $2,000, scores were between 710-730, 30 months of credit history, and already have the Zync from American Express. The application took seven days to process, it was beginning to make me regret applying. Really, from a logic standpoint I shouldn't have applied quite yet, but I had one of those 'addicted to credit' moments. With this account, I should be able to just sit back and let my accounts age now. Here's my portfolio now

Nice card and CL. Finally, you have arrived!!! Not bad for someone with thirty months of credit (actually great). Don't forget to do a credit card review for those posters looking at that part of FG website can benefit from your wisdom! :laugh:
13 years 2 months ago #64

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Amex

Just got approved for the Blue Cash! Credit limit $2,000, scores were between 710-730, 30 months of credit history, and already have the Zync from American Express. The application took seven days to process, it was beginning to make me regret applying. Really, from a logic standpoint I shouldn't have applied quite yet, but I had one of those 'addicted to credit' moments. With this account, I should be able to just sit back and let my accounts age now. Here's my portfolio now

Congrats! I am very happy with my Amex Blue. I don't have the cash version, but the Membership Rewards are also nice. Make sure you check out your credit bureau...one of the best things about Amex is that your original Member Since date follows you to additional accounts. So your new Blue Cash should report as opened 1/2010 since you opened your Zync last year.
13 years 2 months ago #65

→ Unitus Community Credit Union, Classic Visa - $1,000 limit

I would really appreciate an credit limit increase from Unitus; their stingy, and require a hard-pull if I request an increase. :sleepy:
13 years 2 months ago #66

Just got approved for the Blue Cash! Credit limit $2,000, scores were between 710-730, 30 months of credit history, and already have the Zync from American Express. The application took seven days to process, it was beginning to make me regret applying. Really, from a logic standpoint I shouldn't have applied quite yet, but I had one of those 'addicted to credit' moments. With this account, I should be able to just sit back and let my accounts age now. Here's my portfolio now:

→ American Express, Blue Cash - $2,000 limit
→ American Express, Zync - no-preset spending limit
→ Unitus Community Credit Union, Classic Visa - $1,000 limit
→ Capital One, Platinum MasterCard -$1,500 limit
→ Elan Financial Services, College Rewards Visa - $1,900 limit

Although Warener pointed out Chase offers better cash back, I am so satisfied with American Express that I chose them. Maybe in the future I will obtain a Chase card, perhaps 9-12 months from now. I don't plan on applying for anything for along time!! :laugh:
13 years 2 months ago #67

You were going to earn points...?

I'm saving for West Elm gift cards. 10k points = $100 West Elm gift card. Once I get 15k points I'll probably redeem. I want a headboard to go with my West Elm bed frame I got off Craigslist.
13 years 2 months ago #68

I only got 11.6k points

You were going to earn points...?
13 years 2 months ago #69

You know Wanderer I am up to 63k+ in points and I was looking into airline tickets. My points are worth $639 in that arena. I'm sure you know Wanderer that AMEX will let you take your current point total to pay off current charges. Kinda like a cash back in a round about way. Nevertheless will just let the points pile up and use them this time next year to go somewhere. Have a safe New Year and be safe !

I only got 11.6k points :(

Hehe, 10k from the opening bonus. :innocent:
13 years 2 months ago #70

You know Wanderer I am up to 63k+ in points and I was looking into airline tickets. My points are worth $639 in that arena. I'm sure you know Wanderer that AMEX will let you take your current point total to pay off current charges. Kinda like a cash back in a round about way. Nevertheless will just let the points pile up and use them this time next year to go somewhere. Have a safe New Year and be safe !
13 years 3 months ago #71

Well I have to say that AMEX does have Christmas Spirit, I was notified that since I am a "valued" customer that they were giving me 15,000 points or $150 in value.

Now if they can just pay off the Bimmer life would be good

Understand your question/challenge on upgrading to the American Express Platinum Charge Card ($450 AF). I had this card for a number of years for the prestige. Like you, I did not travel enough to benefit by the real card's benefits. Finally, I determined the prestige was out of my system and fiscal reality set in. It was tough to let go...

Today I have found that JP Morgan Chase's Freedom Visa Card with various rewards options and levels better suits my actual usage pattern and with no AF. I probably have harvested over $400 plus in cash rewards during 2010. Not bad in today's world. :cash:
13 years 3 months ago #72

Well I have to say that AMEX does have Christmas Spirit, I was notified that since I am a "valued" customer that they were giving me 15,000 points or $150 in value.

Now if they can just pay off the Bimmer life would be good :cheesing: !
13 years 3 months ago #73

I know its hard sometimes to justify the AF for their charge cards. One thing I like about AMEX is if you lose or your card is stolen, they overnite you a new card no matter where you are. Points never expire, never had a problem with Customer Service, and I like the option to check your spending ability before making a questionable purchase.

My issue is justifying the upgrade to the Platinum Card and not being a traveler..............
13 years 4 months ago #74

Replied by sweetums on topic Re: Amex

What is the purpose of having an Amex Card??????? Merchants say they cost more to process, the rewards are nothing great. I rank it up there with the GAP card, its like a noose around you, just not in the same place heheheheheh

I use mine only for shopping at Costco which I do weekly, and I do not have an annual fee and by the end of the year it pays for my membership.
13 years 4 months ago #75