Amex

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Amex

I typically keep my credit cards ? and financial matters ? pretty quiet to my family, when growing up I remember credit cards & financial matters always being a sensitive and improper subject at home. Now when my mom sees me pull out my Blue Cash, she says "Wow, you got another American Express!" I'm like, "Yup, this one was my main goal, and I'm very proud." She'll nod and go along. My parents never saw credit cards like I do now, they always used them for 'long term' purchases and racked up unnecessary balances; that subsequently led to a bankruptcy when I was about 10 years old (I'm now 20). My credit history will be great in five years when I have a much higher income and the ability to buy a home/condo.

As some of you may know, I'm a certified nurses assistant/ EKG technician/ unit secretary. Well I've finally come to my senses and I want to be a nurse. I plan on moving in May to something cheaper so I can start driving again (crazy with these gas prices, I know!). For the past year I've been relying on public transportation, which is great with my employer subsidizes. But, it's too awkward to get to any college via public transportation. I plan on starting at a community college to complete my prerequisite classes (there's a lot of nursing prerequisites classes). Sometime during the summer or fall term. Depending on how fast I get settled in my new place and my bosses corporation with my work schedule (she's been the one encouraging me the most to become an RN). Anyway, I plan on taking 1-2 classes per term and working full-time; however, when I get into a actual nursing program I will quit my job and live the cheap life! I would rather take 1-2 classes now and do very well than take 3-4 and do just ok.

Right now I work in the what is called the 'float-pool' group, we basically work everywhere throughout the hospital as needed (sick calls, short staff, etc.).

Here's what a float RN's salary looks like starting out

WOW! Now as good as you are with IT (Information Technology) would you be interested in that career path? Either one is good for the future! IT people can make $120K to $180K depending on how much they want to take on. Of course what you laid out equates to over $101K+. NOT to shabby! :dollar:
13 years 1 month ago #46

Replied by Joeyman on topic Re: Amex

The good thing Joeyman is you have been pre-approved at a young age because of your stellar credit history and currently having an AMEX card.

I typically keep my credit cards — and financial matters — pretty quiet to my family, when growing up I remember credit cards & financial matters always being a sensitive and improper subject at home. Now when my mom sees me pull out my Blue Cash, she says "Wow, you got another American Express!" I'm like, "Yup, this one was my main goal, and I'm very proud." She'll nod and go along. My parents never saw credit cards like I do now, they always used them for 'long term' purchases and racked up unnecessary balances; that subsequently led to a bankruptcy when I was about 10 years old (I'm now 20). My credit history will be great in five years when I have a much higher income and the ability to buy a home/condo.

As some of you may know, I'm a certified nurses assistant/ EKG technician/ unit secretary. Well I've finally come to my senses and I want to be a nurse. I plan on moving in May to something cheaper so I can start driving again (crazy with these gas prices, I know!). For the past year I've been relying on public transportation, which is great with my employer subsidizes. But, it's too awkward to get to any college via public transportation. I plan on starting at a community college to complete my prerequisite classes (there's a lot of nursing prerequisites classes). Sometime during the summer or fall term. Depending on how fast I get settled in my new place and my bosses corporation with my work schedule (she's been the one encouraging me the most to become an RN). Anyway, I plan on taking 1-2 classes per term and working full-time; however, when I get into a actual nursing program I will quit my job and live the cheap life! I would rather take 1-2 classes now and do very well than take 3-4 and do just ok.

Right now I work in the what is called the 'float-pool' group, we basically work everywhere throughout the hospital as needed (sick calls, short staff, etc.).

Here's what a float RN's salary looks like starting out:

$29.75 base-pay + $5.00 night differential + $8.00 float differential + $6.00 weekend differential = $48.75/ hour

Although I don't provide nursing care for the pay, it's certainly a much needed reward (we deal with some awful people, you know?).
13 years 1 month ago #47

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Amex

Today in the mail I received another pre-approval letter from Amercan Express for the gold card. This is the 13th letter I received in the last 8 months for the "Gold", "premiere gold", and the Zync card.

American Express is really pushing out approvals for their charge cards to increase their consumer base and has lowered their standards a little I believe to achieve it.

A lot of the banks seem to be doing this these days. Last year I was receiving a pre-approval for Chase Freedom every other week. I counted a total of 30 offers I kid you not. I finally gave in an applied LOL. Now HSBC has sent me 5 offers so far for the GM MasterCard-oddly enough to my PO Box.

In terms of Amex's "standards" keep in mind charge cards have to be paid in full each month and they have an annual fee-this reduces their exposure to risk. So their standards have never been very high for the charge cards-especially since they can set the spending limit. So, someone with a 600 bureau may be approved for a charge card but Amex might limit them to spend about $500 a month compared to a 800 bureau with $5,000 monthly spend. Basically it comes down to marketing and how Amex is usually met with a higher regard-and people pay to own the card.

IMHO they lowered their standards a few years ago with giving everybody a credit card (not charge card) that wanted one. It ended up biting them in the behind during the Great Recession and now they are pushing the charge cards and have greatly reduced the amount of credit cards they issue and to whom they issue them to.
13 years 1 month ago #48

Besides lowering their requirements as you guys say, also realize that AMEX is pushing the consumer to use their cards as everyday cards. And the thing is as Colonative and Wanderer have said before, what will separate one from another will be the AF.

The good thing Joeyman is you have been pre-approved at a young age because of your stellar credit history and currently having an AMEX card.

Colonative and Wanderer have also stated previously that competitors have either met or are closing in on the benefits of the Platinum Card.

You know smcc, I hit the American Express Card pretty hard. Maybe you want to explore the USAA American Express Total Rewards Card with APRs 8.9% to 23.9% no AF flexibility to have American Express in your pocket and enjoy a lower cost alternative. Also, USAA has customer support that exceeds American Express with your choice of cash or merchandise. FG and I have the card. Food for thought! :cc:
13 years 1 month ago #49

Replied by smcc on topic Re: Amex

Besides lowering their requirements as you guys say, also realize that AMEX is pushing the consumer to use their cards as everyday cards. And the thing is as Colonative and Wanderer have said before, what will separate one from another will be the AF.

Colonative and Wanderer have also stated previously that competitors have either met or are closing in on the benefits of the Platinum Card.
13 years 1 month ago #50

American Express is really pushing out approvals for their charge cards to increase their consumer base and has lowered their standards a little I believe to achieve it.

I totally agree! Just 1 year ago they were like "Go away" to everyone. Now it's an open door party... and bring your friends and family. :shocked:
13 years 1 month ago #51

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Amex

Today in the mail I received another pre-approval letter from Amercan Express for the gold card. This is the 13th letter I received in the last 8 months for the "Gold", "premiere gold", and the Zync card.

13 years 1 month ago #52

Talked to AMEX Customer Service today about why my payments weren't posting online and they replied of a system issue. Now while on the phone, the rep was telling me my AF was coming up and why not upgrade to Platinum ?

AMEX is starting this pilot program where they are giving its Platinum Card members a yearly $200 allotment when traveling, i.e. say your on a trip to Tokyo and you want to purchase food / snacks / beverages while in route, these purchases will be put towards your yearly allotment until all used up. Could come in handy if you fly frequently..........

As you all know, should you upgrade to Platinum and decide the Gold / Green is for you you can downsize on a pro rated basis. They ( AMEX ) keep on playing with my financial emotions........

American Express is "yesterday's news" or "passee" if you prefer. Move on and acquire real cards!. Or, upgrade and spend the $450 on the annual fee to test it out and find your comfort zone between the various cards. When you are through... remember Chase has some mighty fine Chase Freedom Visa and Mastercards! So, do others. Like you, I wanted to try the American Express Platinum Charge Card and I did... got it out of my system (took several years) and then acquired the cards more closely aligned to my daily needs, finances and credit requirements.:cash: One more significant point to look at is what does American Express offer... and keep in mind that their revolving lines of credit have interest rates (aprs) that are higher than most other prime bank credit cards then, add in AF's and at best average rewards returns and I ask, why waste the hard inquiry to obtain a card that is accepted at less than half the Mastercard or Visa merchants??? From a pure pratical stand point, it does NOT make sense. From a warm fuzzy perspective it is a left over good feeling from a past era as American Express really treated their cardholders poorly during this major economic slump (recession)... and if I was going to put out $450 for an annual fee it had better be more than warm fuzzys!!! Back when the American Express Platinum Charge Card first was offered it was by invitation only where I slipped in the back door and obtained one with good benefits and real warm fuzzys with respect, that is gone today.
13 years 1 month ago #53

Talked to AMEX Customer Service today about why my payments weren't posting online and they replied of a system issue.

Ah, I wasn't able to make any payments a few days ago. I would click Pay Bill and it would just say my balance was zero and/or couldn't allow me to make any payments at this time. :shocked:
13 years 1 month ago #54

Talked to AMEX Customer Service today about why my payments weren't posting online and they replied of a system issue. Now while on the phone, the rep was telling me my AF was coming up and why not upgrade to Platinum ?

AMEX is starting this pilot program where they are giving its Platinum Card members a yearly $200 allotment when traveling, i.e. say your on a trip to Tokyo and you want to purchase food / snacks / beverages while in route, these purchases will be put towards your yearly allotment until all used up. Could come in handy if you fly frequently..........

As you all know, should you upgrade to Platinum and decide the Gold / Green is for you you can downsize on a pro rated basis. They ( AMEX ) keep on playing with my financial emotions........ :cheesing:
13 years 1 month ago #55

You know Cnative, was at the AMEX site checking my balance. Of course the Upgrade option was there but now they have a section of where current members give their review of the Platinum Card. Some pro's, some cons's, but the one issue that resonates among them all, the AF. Most say the perks just don't outweigh the AF. All love the Airport Lounge Access but many have complained about Customer Service when traveling abroad.

Yeah I saw that feature where people can review the card. I have not reviewed the Platinum yet but most reviews for the Gold card were pretty favorable. I personally can't even justify the Gold card's annual fee let alone the Platinum. I kind of like the Zync card-even if I am a good 3 years past their target demographic......
13 years 2 months ago #56

You know Cnative, was at the AMEX site checking my balance. Of course the Upgrade option was there but now they have a section of where current members give their review of the Platinum Card. Some pro's, some cons's, but the one issue that resonates among them all, the AF. Most say the perks just don't outweigh the AF. All love the Airport Lounge Access but many have complained about Customer Service when traveling abroad.
13 years 2 months ago #57

Yeah Cnative, I know. Its like a tease........... You know that the "grass isn't greener on the other side" but I'm still on this side and the attraction is still strong

I can appreciate that for sure. They just need to make a few more perks with the card to make it worthwhile. Or at the very least, waive the annual fee for the first year to test drive it.
13 years 2 months ago #58

Yeah Cnative, I know. Its like a tease........... You know that the "grass isn't greener on the other side" but I'm still on this side and the attraction is still strong :cheesing: !

You always have the voice of reason..............
13 years 2 months ago #59

Ok, So I have stated that I have a "weakness" for the Platinum Card. What does AMEX do ? They bring back the "you can upgrade to a Platinum" link back on my Account Summary Page.

I have had this opportunity for the longest but just stayed away. Now they (AMEX) want to make sure that I don't forget

SMCC---as Susan Powter would say, "Stop The Insanity!" No more Platinum AMEX. You have already discovered that the Gold Premier Rewards is the best bet. Honestly, the only reason I would ever consider the AMEX Platinum is if I was a high roller trying to qualify for the Centurian Card and that isn't happening :white-flag:
13 years 2 months ago #60