When you take the frugalness too far?

• MidSouthGal
  • MidSouthGal's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by MidSouthGal on topic When you take the frugalness too far?

I was just having a giggle and thought I should share. Visited this same friend, and she was telling me that she hasn't bought ketchup in years. All she does is swing by her local takeout place, grab a few ketchup packets and dart out again. They fill their ketchup bottle with these tiny packets. I was just gobsmacked.
7 years 4 months ago #16

Replied by FrugalFran on topic When you take the frugalness too far?

I definitely wouldn't give up necessities to save a few dollars. With the toilet paper example, I've had times in my life when I had to buy the scratchy, one-ply generic brands over the more expensive Charmin, but that's as far as I'm willing to take it.
7 years 4 months ago #17

Replied by Moneyes on topic When you take the frugalness too far?

Being too frugal means compromising your quality of life for the sake of saving a buck.
MSG......you might want to tell your friend about this:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-brondell-freshspa-easy-bidet-attachment?deal_option=eae53346-3d68-11e6-bb8a-00259060b5da&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US_DT_SEA_GGL_TIM_TTT_PADS_CBP_CHP_NBR_g*gg-brondell-freshspa-easy-bidet-attachment_productpartitionid*266864973720_campaignid*342430861_adgroupid*28356663061_prodtarget*266864973720_productid*47731692_d*Goods-Product-Ads_keyword*_adtype*pla_merchantdid*10018412_c*105510930421_k*_m*_target*_adposition*1o6&mr:referralID=eda9cb4d-bac1-11e6-b294-0050569406b5&gclid=CIKepsrM3NACFQ6Zfgod7HIC4Q
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Moneyes.
7 years 4 months ago #18

Replied by Breakinger on topic When you take the frugalness too far?

Thankfully, I've never heard of anyone doing this "no toilet paper" thing before. That would definitely be crossing the line for me. It's not like toilet paper is that expensive. I think when it comes to having necessities is where I draw the line. I wouldn't stop buying these things just to save a buck.
7 years 4 months ago #19
  • MidSouthGal
  • MidSouthGal's Avatar Topic Author

When you take the frugalness too far? was created by MidSouthGal

I am not shy to say that we are frugal. I make sure that we get our money's worth to the very last cent. I have like-minded friends, but I have seen some strange things that people label frugal. Things like not using toilet paper but using water to wash with your hand. I've seen a pile of cloth wipes placed on the cistern, and this mama cloth thing just blows my mind.

How far is too far? What would you consider and what is off-limits to you?
7 years 4 months ago #20