Ways to Save

Replied by patse on topic Ways to Save

Breakinger wrote: I've never thought about having multiple savings accounts set up with different names on them. Do you do this through your bank? I never knew that you could open up multiple accounts in one location.

Yes, you set it up through the financial institution. It's quite easy. I have money going from my paycheck into four different accounts. My main checking, a vacation savings, Christmas savings and one for taxes and household items.
7 years 7 months ago #31

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Ways to Save

I have most of mine set up through Ally and then I have a couple of Betterment accounts. The Ally accounts are just money market accounts that I can transfer money out of as needed, but the Betterment accounts are more of a long term savings thing.
7 years 7 months ago #32

Replied by Breakinger on topic Ways to Save

I've never thought about having multiple savings accounts set up with different names on them. Do you do this through your bank? I never knew that you could open up multiple accounts in one location.
7 years 7 months ago #33

Replied by FrankN on topic Ways to Save

I do the same thing, and it helps me reach my savings goals.
7 years 9 months ago #34

I do this, too. I have several savings accounts for different goals and each one is named accordingly. If I am tempted to skip a week adding money to the "Vacation" account, it helps to see the big "V" word staring at me and looking lonely. :D
7 years 10 months ago #35

Replied by Wanderer on topic Ways to Save

Keep using your system as it works. Leave the door open if you need to refine or adjust. Possibly naming the dollars makes it more personal and easier for you to honor your savings requirements.
7 years 10 months ago #36

Replied by Curry on topic Ways to Save

i am finding that compartmentalizing my money in as many ways as possible is helping me save. When every dollar has a name, it helps somehow.
7 years 10 months ago #37

Replied by FrankN on topic Ways to Save

I have been using coupons as of lately. Its kind of difficult to do, but I would say if saves me almost $25 a week on groceries. I am not an extremely organized person, but if you are using coupons then you have to be organized.
7 years 10 months ago #38

Replied by Breakinger on topic Ways to Save

I've never heard of the milk trick either. My kids go through milk like crazy and I end up buying about three gallons a week, which really adds up over time. Do you just save out old milk containers to mix the new ones with?
7 years 10 months ago #39

Replied by LisaPie on topic Ways to Save

JG224, I have never heard of such a thing with the whole milk! Where did you learn that trick? I am curious enough to see if it works, especially after having spent $3.89 on a gallon of milk tonight, to see if I can cut that amount in half. Literally.
7 years 11 months ago #40

Replied by JG224 on topic Ways to Save

I do little things that help me save money. For example, I buy a half gallon of whole milk and pour it in a gallon milk jug. Then I add about 30-40% water to it and it tastes just like 2% milk. I shop at farmer's markets. I shop with cash because it really helps to keep me from spending more than I do if I have my debit card. I got rid of my home phone and just use my cell phone.

It's the little things that add up.
7 years 11 months ago #41

Patse, that is a great idea really, especially for the single person. I do that myself but on a larger scale. If I make spaghetti sauce, I make a big pot and freeze a bunch for mid-week meals later on.
7 years 11 months ago #42

Replied by patse on topic Ways to Save

I make a normal size meal and then freeze it in individual size containers. I eat alone most nights. It's great to open the freezer and pull out an already cooked meal. I use these for lunches too.
7 years 11 months ago #43

Replied by Wanderer on topic Ways to Save

You make a real good point EGGHEAD about the cost of eating out versus fixing food at home for one person. Unless your big on leftovers I find at the grocery stores most of what I could buy off the shelf fed way more than one person so how do I keep everything fresh and safe? Reality is it is not easy and I don't want to shop and store lots of food stuffs (Tying money up in inventory on my food pantry shelf). Also, I am sure most of us enjoy variety so a single person does have some extra things to think about.
7 years 11 months ago #44

Replied by Egghead on topic Ways to Save

I would say that a half decent lunch would cost around 10 $, probably more if you go to a sit down place with some atmosphere. That is a lot over a week, for sure. Then again, if you are single it may not be too much more than you'd pay for quality food ingredients to cook for yourself.
7 years 11 months ago #45