Bankruptcy Forever

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Credit

Congratulations on the home purchase and the move, Frank!! I know this has been a big goal of yours for a while, so I am very happy to hear you achieved it. :cheer:
6 years 10 months ago #18

Replied by Tishbel on topic Credit

FrankN wrote: We just finished moving in. MAN MOVING IS TIRING. I am too cheap to hire people so we did it all ourselves.

WELL DONE! You didn't just save money. If movers where you are are any like the last ones I hired, you probably saved anything fragile that needed moving!
6 years 10 months ago #19

Replied by FrankN on topic Credit

We just finished moving in. MAN MOVING IS TIRING. I am too cheap to hire people so we did it all ourselves.
6 years 11 months ago #20
  • Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Wanderer on topic Credit

Congratulations on your new home purchase ... pretty cool :) Yes, the process is a test of one's nerves. Over the years I have owned homes and even then I still seem to never know all there is about the process.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Wanderer.
6 years 11 months ago #21

I just purchased a home and going through the process was terrible. I have great credit, but they ask for your full life story!
6 years 11 months ago #22

Replied by Moneyes on topic Credit

They do keep us in a pinch, don't they Goldbug? I pay cash/full price for everything I can and use credit sparingly. i'm a reluctant participant.
7 years 10 hours ago #23

Replied by Goldbug on topic Credit

Moneyes wrote: If all else fails, pay cash.

Credit and the ensuing rating is important for getting your name established in the financial world. There is no denying that. But there is no greater buying power, even in 2017, than cold, hard cash.

The problem with using cash is that money laundering regulations place a limit on how much you can spend in cash or by cash transfer. You might get away with a debit card and the cash in an account, but in order to stop organised crime a lot of innocent people get penalised.
7 years 1 week ago #24

Replied by Lexie on topic Credit

I think the last time we obtained a loan from the bank, we had to sign in blood and offer up our first born. :lol: Not really! Just kidding. We did have to supply them with quite a bit of information though and then they would only loan us so much. I can't blame them though. They loose lots on people who don't pay.
7 years 2 weeks ago #25

There is a downside to that as well. In theory if you only used cash and basically had no credit score/ credit history, you would also never be able to take out a loan or get approved as the bank would not have any history on you.
7 years 3 weeks ago #26

Replied by Moneyes on topic Credit

Wanderer wrote: So what do we do for credit in the future? Take your credit very seriously. In this automated world you can't hide. And, there may be no forgiveness.
Signed Concerned :white-flag: :white-flag:

If all else fails, pay cash.

Credit and the ensuing rating is important for getting your name established in the financial world. There is no denying that. But there is no greater buying power, even in 2017, than cold, hard cash.
7 years 1 month ago #27
  • Wanderer

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Bankruptcy Forever

Depends on the economy, attitude of the lender and record of the proposed borrower. Truth, it was tougher to become a borrower and it was harder to slip slide and away into a loan (not impossible just harder). Speak with experience as I lived through the old days.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Wanderer.
7 years 1 month ago #28

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Bankruptcy Forever

I wonder if going back to doing things this way will help some people who may have a lower credit score but a decent income. Or will a low credit score still be the undoing of the loan?
7 years 1 month ago #29
  • Wanderer

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Bankruptcy Forever

Going back to the 1970's and 1980's often you submitted an application and statement of net worth. Then the lender pulled a manual credit report from one the of the credit bureaus and verified with your employer actual employment and earnings. Nothing was taken for granted.
7 years 1 month ago #30

Replied by Goldbug on topic Re: Bankruptcy Forever

Meya wrote: I saw on the news where they were talking about consumers will soon have to provided pay check stubs, tax returns, or W2's in order to get credit established with banks. I really cant argue with them on this because showing proof of the income that we state does open a better relationship for banks to grant consumers credit, and to show some trustworthy of our ability to pay. Then they can compare our current income-to-debt-to-credit line ratio. Can anyone else agree?:embarrassed:

I know this is an old thread but that was a really accurate prediction. The last time I talked credit with my bank, they asked for my employment contract and three paystubs. It was a problem because I'd only been working there four weeks! It seems like this is normal practice for some places now, as well getting credit reports and checking credit scores.
7 years 1 month ago #31

Replied by Meya on topic Re: Bankruptcy Forever

1/21/2010
14 years 2 months ago #32