Citi Bank & Citigroup "Citi's Yard Sale"

Replied by ColoNative on topic Re: Citi Bank & Citigroup "Citi's Yard Sale"

Hmm... I had a Bank One AAA Visa that was good but never had a First USA Card... now as you remind me First USA was like Providian ... similar to or as low as the sub-prime slime bank card issuers with questionable operational practices! Yeah...!

First USA was owned by Bank One since 1985 I believe. Bank One largely marketed their cards through First USA. First USA was actually a prime issuer and I regard them as the pioneer in Platinum cards. Back in 95 they started marketing the 9.9% fixed after 1.9% balance transfer Platinum Visa's and MasterCards. The other issuers had to follow suit because of how popular they had become. First USA was questionable however and had their share of issues (primarily the bait and switch scheme). Finally around 2002 Bank One effectively began phasing out First USA and then got bought out by Chase. Like I said though, the old Bank One/First USA system is very much still in place. Their phone numbers, addresses and BIN's are being used and what used to be Chase's were thrown away. It made sense to do so since First USA's card base was larger. Chase doesn't even try hiding that. I got balance transfer checks last week that are "Payable Through First USA Bank, Westerville, OH." And sometimes the inquiries even show as First USA.
13 years 9 months ago #16
  • Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

Replied by Wanderer on topic Re: Citi Bank & Citigroup "Citi's Yard Sale"

Yep. I have always said that the Canadian banks operate the way ours did in the '80s and early '90s. High APR's and annual fees are the norm in Canada. BofA purchased MBNA; MBNA (Maryland Bank, National Association) had a Canadian subsidiary. I imagine that having BofA Canada wouldn't have sat well with our northern neighbors so they kept it MBNA. Keep in mind, MBNA is still very much alive, they are just operating under the BofA name. Anybody that was a BofA cardholder prior to the purchase of MBNA knows what I am talking about. Statements, addresses, phone numbers etc all changed to what used to be MBNA's. FIA Card Services is a name that BofA uses when they issue an affiliated card, like Charles Schwab Bank. This is also an MBNA bastian...MBNA used to have an offshoot called Individualized Bankcard Services that operated the same way. I had a First Union Visa issued by Individualized Bankcard Services but it was MBNA all the way.

Same thing with Chase. Basically our Chase cards are First USA/Bank One cards hiding under the Chase name. My experience with BofA improved after MBNA took over the cards while my satisfaction with Chase has really soured with the Bank One/First USA deal. First USA was scandalous.

Hmm... I had a Bank One AAA Visa that was good but never had a First USA Card... now as you remind me First USA was like Providian ... similar to or as low as the sub-prime slime bank card issuers with questionable operational practices! Yeah...!
13 years 9 months ago #17

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Citi Bank & Citigroup "Citi's Yard Sale"

Citibank historically was very good about lowering APR's and increasing credit lines at the drop of a hat. But it has been my experience with Citibank (12 years on Visa, 11 on AT&T MasterCard and 10 on Citibank Dividend) that they raise rates more often then any other bank that I have (and I have em all, BofA, Chase, Discover, Amex). Sure, you may get your APR lowered for a while, but then they pull a change in terms on you and up it goes.

Chase....ugh...I don't trust Chase. They raised my APR to 14.24% and lowered my cash advance limit (not purchase limit) both without notifying me electronicially or by mail.

You are right though, different people have different opinions. I used to think the world of Citibank but not anymore. And yet, I have had no real problems with BofA and alot of people have. Go figure. Honestly, I think Discover is the best one out there, they just aren't accepted everywhere.

Actually I pif all of my cards which makes the apr irrelevant but just out curiosity I asked to have my apr(13%) lowered and "bang" done I was like what lol. Discover is accepted everywhere I go but I make my cashback killing with them through shopdiscover which I have earned as much as 20% in some outlets:cheesing:
13 years 9 months ago #18

The one thing about these credit forums is that you really learn that each persons experiences can vary when dealing with credit cards and banks.Citi for me has been awesome because they raise my credit limits when the time come and they also lowered my apr when requested which is why I put a ton of money through them each month. I've never had any problem with Chase but my limit is way lower than even my Household card and I put a lot of money each month through them too but they gave me a measly 500cl with a blasted hard pull

Citibank historically was very good about lowering APR's and increasing credit lines at the drop of a hat. But it has been my experience with Citibank (12 years on Visa, 11 on AT&T MasterCard and 10 on Citibank Dividend) that they raise rates more often then any other bank that I have (and I have em all, BofA, Chase, Discover, Amex). Sure, you may get your APR lowered for a while, but then they pull a change in terms on you and up it goes.

Chase....ugh...I don't trust Chase. They raised my APR to 14.24% and lowered my cash advance limit (not purchase limit) both without notifying me electronicially or by mail.

You are right though, different people have different opinions. I used to think the world of Citibank but not anymore. And yet, I have had no real problems with BofA and alot of people have. Go figure. Honestly, I think Discover is the best one out there, they just aren't accepted everywhere.
13 years 9 months ago #19

Yeah... I have Chase and love the rewards... best cards I have... the Chase Business Visa "Ink" is really top shelf... now as to Citi Cards I give up! One for ColoNative ... I went web-surfing to MBNA Canada where they love high interest rates and WOW... FIA Card Services (and the look alike Bank of America Web Page) is part of the picture ... who would have guessed... less card issuers every year...

Yep. I have always said that the Canadian banks operate the way ours did in the '80s and early '90s. High APR's and annual fees are the norm in Canada. BofA purchased MBNA; MBNA (Maryland Bank, National Association) had a Canadian subsidiary. I imagine that having BofA Canada wouldn't have sat well with our northern neighbors so they kept it MBNA. Keep in mind, MBNA is still very much alive, they are just operating under the BofA name. Anybody that was a BofA cardholder prior to the purchase of MBNA knows what I am talking about. Statements, addresses, phone numbers etc all changed to what used to be MBNA's. FIA Card Services is a name that BofA uses when they issue an affiliated card, like Charles Schwab Bank. This is also an MBNA bastian...MBNA used to have an offshoot called Individualized Bankcard Services that operated the same way. I had a First Union Visa issued by Individualized Bankcard Services but it was MBNA all the way.

Same thing with Chase. Basically our Chase cards are First USA/Bank One cards hiding under the Chase name. My experience with BofA improved after MBNA took over the cards while my satisfaction with Chase has really soured with the Bank One/First USA deal. First USA was scandalous.
13 years 9 months ago #20

I can understand long term cardholders being upset with the changes they are making with the card because I read that this card a few years ago was a card that offered 5% cash back on purchases with a great apr at the time.There was a link under my account offering me to sign up for the reward categories but I never signed up but now it is gone but I'm still under the Citi Dollar reward structure and wish it to stay that way because my Discover and Chase Freedom offer the same thing basically category wise anyway.

In terms of the rewards, most banks are getting stingier with them. Thanks to the economy and CARD Act.
13 years 9 months ago #21

Yeah... I have Chase and love the rewards... best cards I have... the Chase Business Visa "Ink" is really top shelf... now as to Citi Cards I give up! One for ColoNative ... I went web-surfing to MBNA Canada where they love high interest rates and WOW... FIA Card Services (and the look alike Bank of America Web Page) is part of the picture ... who would have guessed... less card issuers every year...

The one thing about these credit forums is that you really learn that each persons experiences can vary when dealing with credit cards and banks.Citi for me has been awesome because they raise my credit limits when the time come and they also lowered my apr when requested which is why I put a ton of money through them each month. I've never had any problem with Chase but my limit is way lower than even my Household card and I put a lot of money each month through them too but they gave me a measly 500cl with a blasted hard pull :upset: so the sockdrawer it went.
13 years 9 months ago #22
  • Wanderer

I can understand long term cardholders being upset with the changes they are making with the card because I read that this card a few years ago was a card that offered 5% cash back on purchases with a great apr at the time.There was a link under my account offering me to sign up for the reward categories but I never signed up but now it is gone but I'm still under the Citi Dollar reward structure and wish it to stay that way because my Discover and Chase Freedom offer the same thing basically category wise anyway.

13 years 9 months ago #23

This is infuriating though...they send letters to almost all existing Dividend cardholders that they are being upgraded to World MasterCard (even if they had a Visa Platinum), and now they offer the Platinum Select Dividend to newbies? Geez! And this is after the Dividend card for non-students disappeared almost 2 years ago....

13 years 9 months ago #24

I saw that the other day on Citi's website and thought.....Citi changes and revamp products like clockwork lol but i did noticed it has updated it's reward structure kind of like Discover and Chase.The card is offered through this site also.

This is infuriating though...they send letters to almost all existing Dividend cardholders that they are being upgraded to World MasterCard (even if they had a Visa Platinum), and now they offer the Platinum Select Dividend to newbies? Geez! And this is after the Dividend card for non-students disappeared almost 2 years ago....
13 years 9 months ago #25

Try this out... today Saturday, July 10, 2010 Citi Cards now offers a Citibank Dividend Platinum Select MasterCard... Go figure! There Citi Cash Rewards MasterCard is gone. Hmm..!

Oh for the love of God! Citibank drives me nuts.
13 years 9 months ago #26

Try this out... today Saturday, July 10, 2010 Citi Cards now offers a Citibank Dividend Platinum Select MasterCard... Go figure! There Citi Cash Rewards MasterCard is gone. Hmm..!

I saw that the other day on Citi's website and thought.....Citi changes and revamp products like clockwork lol but i did noticed it has updated it's reward structure kind of like Discover and Chase.The card is offered through this site also..:laugh:
13 years 9 months ago #27
  • Wanderer

3 cards lmao.....The majority of people i read were told they could not opt out(like yourself) but a few posted they were opted out so i take their comments with a grain of salt because as told this was for all carriers of the card.I believe these banks are making moves like these just to get around the credit card act somehow and forcing you to accept the change is bad business as far as I'm concern.

13 years 9 months ago #28

3 cards lmao.....The majority of people i read were told they could not opt out(like yourself) but a few posted they were opted out so i take their comments with a grain of salt because as told this was for all carriers of the card.I believe these banks are making moves like these just to get around the credit card act somehow and forcing you to accept the change is bad business as far as I'm concern.

Okay, so after reading some other forums I kept reading about people that called and had no problem opting out. So I gave it another shot tonight; spoke right to an account manager and he acted like it was no big deal to opt out. A week ago I was told it was impossible. So I get to keep my Dividend Platinum Select-at least for now (although the cash back is still changing to a straight 1% and 5% on changing themes every quarter). I guess enough cardholders complained so they relented and allowed the opt out.
13 years 10 months ago #29

Yeah...the crazy world of credit. Especially in a post-CARD Act world.
13 years 10 months ago #30