Capital One Bank

Replied by bernhardtra on topic Re: Capital One Bank

I have 2 accounts with them and they hate me. I never go over my limit or pay late. I have even gotten them to reverse the annual fee on both cards for this year, 1 was done like 4 months after the fee hit. All there practices have resulted in an additional total credit to my account of $110 and them sending me my card express mail to both China and the US. This wall due to their bad practices. I would have been happy to merely have had credit limit increases on a routine basis to insure my score will increase. Soon I will have to deal with them for my Household Bank card, which has no annual fee. It is amazing how they can't actually identify which customers they truly need to treat nice and which who are actually still faltering from their own bad habits. I have corrected my mistakes and truly don't need credit cards, except to build my score to buy a home. They are not helping with this and their low limit as much as a higher limit would. Think about it, if they make you reapply for a card to get a good limit, that lowers your score. If you close your account afterward or before, that lowers your score. It doesn't matter which way they go about it, it is for a specific purpose, to keep their subprime customers fueling their income. Multiple accounts with low limits, limits your credit score and advances their income in case of a problem. I have taken to having them transfer my balances from my other cards, instead of paying those accounts, this causes them an expense. I then pay the card off, which means they make no income from the transaction. It is not what they are hoping for and I hope their computer system is smart enough to figure it, since they can't and actually give me a limit that will hope with my goal. I doubt it though! I somehow made a mistake of actually paying them interest last year. The total came to $1.31. So they basically lose and I win. Even if they cancel my cards, it won't matter, I have 2 others one with a limit I can use in emergencies and the HSBC card, which I have a feeling will get a credit increase long before they take ownership of it. Their loss. They really need to reclassify some of us into at least a category between subprime and prime. Merrick Bank loves me and gives me credit line increases and I actually suspect soon they will offer me an unsecured card as I have noticed they just checked my credit report last week. I only wish they offered a rewards card, as I would be very happy with that! I would quickly close my CapOne cards if they offered me such a product!
12 years 3 months ago #16

Replied by kdb030609 on topic Re: Capital One Bank

Capital One's Small Credit Limit Trap

by bhazelton on November 4, 2006 Business Week Magazine

Many of our FG readers have wondered about Capital One's small credit limits that generally don't get very large. This was a story printed in the November 6, 2006 Business Week Magazine that answers the question. As Capital One grows and absorbs more retail accounts where will we be...?

Thanks for a great article you found. I was just watching the movie Maxed Out last night. It's available on netflix instantly. It describes some of the same things of this article. I know where I'll be ! Without a Capital One card I had one of there cards over ten years ago. Credit limit was $5000 however the Apr was 18.9 %. Ahh yes to be young and carefree! LOL ! Needless to say they made a lot of money from me. I think their motto should be "What's Left In Your Wallet Take It Out And Send It To Us" not "What's In Your Wallet" LOL !
I decided to be proactive and close my HSBC GM card . I don't ever want a Capital One card again !
12 years 9 months ago #17

Replied by eugene66 on topic Re: Capital One Bank

Capital One back when that was written was also known not to report credit limits to the credit bureaus (old postings of complaints on forums can be found) and when they did I believed it affected a person's business card with them too.
12 years 9 months ago #18
  • Wanderer
  • Wanderer's Avatar Topic Author

was created by Wanderer

Capital One's Small Credit Limit Trap

by bhazelton on November 4, 2006 Business Week Magazine

The November 6, 2006 issue of Business Week magazine features an article about Capital One Financial’s credit card and sub-prime lending practices. The article cites several examples of cardholders who were able to get as many as six Capital One cards at one time and, all the while, continued to receive even more direct mail offers for more card offers from Capital One. Typically, the cards offered are for much smaller credit limits than normal ($300 for example) and as a result of the much smaller credit limits, many of these cardholders end up being socked with heavy late fees, over-limit fees, and penalty interest rate charges, making these cards a very expensive proposition for some cardholders.

How can this happen? Well, it’s really quite simple according to many credit and debt counseling experts in the field. Business Week outlines Capital One’s practice of offering multiple credit cards with small credit limits is done in an effort to maximize the income they receive from late fees instead of counting on interest or finance charges as the primary source of income on these products.

It works a little something like this … Capital One offers a card with a small credit limit to “sub-prime” borrowers who might be less sophisticated in their borrowing and credit practices than most borrowers. Sub-prime borrowers typically have a checkered credit history and have fewer options for borrowing than individuals who have a cleaner credit history. So typically, this type of cardholder will jump at the opportunity to acquire a credit card like this.

Here’s where it gets really interesting. Instead of offering a single card with a traditionally higher limit, Capital One will offer these cards to sub-prime borrowers that are much easier to acquire than traditional cards, but with much smaller credit limits attached. Capital One is betting that a cardholders with a small credit limit is much more likely to exceed their limit, and as a result, are much more likely to generate over-limit fees.

Even worse, Capital One encourages the use of multiple cards by continuing to offer additional card products on top of existing cards. Trying to manage several credit cards at once increases the likelihood that you’ll not only go over the limit to generate fees, but you’re also more than likely to miss a payment, which in turn generates even more fee income for Capital One in the form of late payment fees, adding insult to injury. Over-limit and late payment fees can add up very, very quickly, particularly for those with multiple cards.

Many of our FG readers have wondered about Capital One's small credit limits that generally don't get very large. This was a story printed in the November 6, 2006 Business Week Magazine that answers the question. As Capital One grows and absorbs more retail accounts where will we be...? :upset:

12 years 9 months ago #19