Investment Opportunities in Panama

Replied by FrankN on topic Re: Investment Opportunities in Panama

Pinky wrote: I would be petrified to invest my money in Panama, Colombia, or any of those other countries in South America. My luck is that I would get involved with some individuals that had ties to the Cartels but were using legitimate businesses to cover their dealings. That is the kind of luck I have. No investing out of the US for me.

That would be a bad situation PINKY!
6 years 7 months ago #1

Replied by Pinky on topic Re: Investment Opportunities in Panama

I would be petrified to invest my money in Panama, Colombia, or any of those other countries in South America. My luck is that I would get involved with some individuals that had ties to the Cartels but were using legitimate businesses to cover their dealings. That is the kind of luck I have. No investing out of the US for me.
6 years 7 months ago #2

Replied by CentsibleSaver on topic Re: Investment Opportunities in Panama

Moneyes wrote: What was true 7 years ago, still holds true today: Go on a working vacation first, before you make any business decisions there. Not much has changed in Panama in regards to how businesses and business people operate which, to put it mildly, is not the same as in America.

Amen! It would be foolish to invest otherwise. You'd also need to seek an attorney to determine what the laws are in Panama. Otherwise, your investment could be for naught.
6 years 7 months ago #3

Definitely. I am sure there are great opportunities in Panama, but you need a trusted contact to help facilitate that IMO.
6 years 9 months ago #4

Replied by Goldbug on topic Re: Investment Opportunities in Panama

Lexie wrote: I like the idea of a working vacation before investing in anything outside the US. "Scams, translators, good deals." All spells "fishy" to me. I guess I'm just too conservative. I have to be sure before jumping in that water.

That doesn't sound conservative, it sounds sensibly cautious to me. What was the old saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted" and something about things being too good too be true?
6 years 10 months ago #5

Replied by Lexie on topic Re: Investment Opportunities in Panama

I like the idea of a working vacation before investing in anything outside the US. "Scams, translators, good deals." All spells "fishy" to me. I guess I'm just too conservative. I have to be sure before jumping in that water.
6 years 10 months ago #6

Goldbug wrote:

FrankN wrote: Are there any stocks that have concentration in Panama?

For us investors there aren't many ETFs which invest in Panama, so you'd probably have to invest directly. They have their own stock exchange, which is one of the more stable ones in South America. With the current property boom in the region I'm surprised there aren't more US companies or property trusts with property interests down there. Do you know any?

I do not know of any but I would be interested just to take a look and see a prospectus if there were any.
6 years 10 months ago #7

FrankN wrote: Are there any stocks that have concentration in Panama?

For us investors there aren't many ETFs which invest in Panama, so you'd probably have to invest directly. They have their own stock exchange, which is one of the more stable ones in South America. With the current property boom in the region I'm surprised there aren't more US companies or property trusts with property interests down there. Do you know any?
6 years 11 months ago #8

FrugalFran wrote: It's risky for all the reasons Goldbug pointed out, but it's not impossible. I think it requires a very good understanding of the country, the laws, and the locals where you plan to buy. If you can afford to run back and forth taking working vacations, as suggested by Moneyes, you can build up some trust with local contacts and educate yourself on the location.

Are there any stocks that have concentration in Panama?
6 years 11 months ago #9

Replied by FrugalFran on topic Re: Investment Opportunities in Panama

It's risky for all the reasons Goldbug pointed out, but it's not impossible. I think it requires a very good understanding of the country, the laws, and the locals where you plan to buy. If you can afford to run back and forth taking working vacations, as suggested by Moneyes, you can build up some trust with local contacts and educate yourself on the location.
6 years 11 months ago #10

I haven't invested in Panama, but I'd always be careful buying property overseas. If you're not on site you're relying on the management company, and if the contract is not in a language you speak you're relying on a translator to manage legal terms which doesn't always work. I know someone who bought property in Spain only to find they had no way to make the company finish building their house, because the legal system on land ownership is different over there.
6 years 11 months ago #11

Curious what your thoughts are MONEYES. I am not familiar with investing in Panama and would be interested to hear.
7 years 7 months ago #12

Replied by Moneyes on topic Re: Investment Opportunities in Panama

What was true 7 years ago, still holds true today: Go on a working vacation first, before you make any business decisions there. Not much has changed in Panama in regards to how businesses and business people operate which, to put it mildly, is not the same as in America.
7 years 8 months ago #13

Replied by KellBell on topic Re: Investment Opportunities in Panama

That Panama Real Estate gig seems enticing.
15 years 2 months ago #14
  • sophie
  • sophie's Avatar Topic Author

was created by sophie

Real estate investments are supposedly great in Panama. You can choose anything from unspoiled beachfront property to downtown high rise condos. Other investments, such as businesses in the tourism and service sectors, could be promising because of Panama's steadily increasing tourism industry. My boyfriend and I are looking into it. :cool:
16 years 3 weeks ago #15