Home Members Tools Credit Cards
   

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 107
  1. #1

    Default AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    Wow, when I read this article about how American Express is now profiling its customers by where they shop and even who holds their mortagage I was a little upset. I used to have one of their Green cards but I'm glad I don't anymore.

    Read what is going on: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27055285/

  2. #2

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    Interesting. And I hate to be the only one to say this, but American Express seems to be a responsible lender. I don't see them getting bailed out by the government.


  3. #3

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    I have their Clear card that only gets used a couple of times a month. They probably want you to be shopping at high end stores.

  4. #4

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    I agree with KellBell, their practices might be not in our favor but they are securing their position in this credit environment and the future.

  5. #5

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    Where you live and where you shop should be a little on the "In my private life" side. That is where Amex goes wrong. My zip code is red flagged from pizza delivery and I live in a nice home in a quiet area. I shop at Walmart, bargains stores, and every other cheap place you could name. That does not correct nor satisfy a sign that my household income is $25k per year or less. My household income is probably double those reside in Gated, Suburban or Upscaled communities. How do they know if the person with the mortgage was unfamiliar with who was they best bank to finance from? Every home owner was once a first time buyer and Lord knows how many was not aware of who was the best bank to deal with or unaware of a scam.

    I think consumers are going to soon raise this issue as "Prejudice." I disagree with Amex on this one, what if I was visiting someone from the hood and decided to use my Amex card to pay for a purchase? I would then get my card lowered because I am in contact with a store that Amex believes is beneath their standards? Give me a break, what should matter is how well I pay my creditors....Hellloooo, "Soft pulls," and how well I manage my account with them. I think that is too nosy. Snooping around in my account probably using tracking devices and undercover shoppers to see what kind of store I purchase from. Have Amex forgotten that customers are the ones who made them? The rich does not give a &*%!@ who they are, as long as they treat them right and is there when they need them. You can not do no more with Amex than you can any other Visa, Master card, or Discover. They are going to mess around and get some unfair practice slapped in their face and then they will wake up and smell the customers from a credit rating point of view rather than a point of sale point of view.

    Give me a break!

  6. #6

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    Quote Originally Posted by hjm331 View Post
    I agree with KellBell, their practices might be not in our favor but they are securing their position in this credit environment and the future.
    They need to find a better way to do this. Where customers shop has nothing to do with this credit environment. I can not believe them!

  7. #7

    Default AMEX finally tells the TRUTH!!!!!

    SO I was on msn.com and saw an article about American Express confessing to reducing or even closing accounts based on where you live, shop or even a company you have a mortgage with. I tried to get the url for the site but it was just msn.com. Anyways, a guy had two of his cards closed and one limit decreased. This is crazy. AmEx did it to me too and stated that based on the demographics of other account holders that are similiar too yours we have decided to decrease you credit limit. Its crazy to because I always paid on time and more than the minimum. But now that the cat is out of the bag people will finally see that American Express is more of an American Depressed.

  8. #8

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Meya View Post
    They need to find a better way to do this. Where customers shop has nothing to do with this credit environment. I can not believe them!
    Amex is going to find out that their new system for issuing credit is faulty at best. It will fail miserably.

    First, they need to redefine their definition of "rich" and "wealthy".

    Rich people-their target market apparently- didn't get rich by making frivolous purchases and shopping at high-end stores. Most of the "rich people" I have encountered...back when I worked at the Lexus dealership...lived in mediocre, if not low-income zip codes, and shopped at WalMart, Save-a-Lot, and other "hood" stores. They were stingy and shopped for deals like any welfare family. People that are good with money ALSO want the best bang for their buck. And Amex will find this out. But it will be way too late and these customers will have taken their credit card business elsewhere...

    In my opinion, and I can even point the finger at myself when stating this- the likelihood that someone shopping at high-end store and REALLY being able to afford high-end merchandise is...well, I can say that, I really shouldn't be buying such items based on my income. Just because I have good taste in brands, does not mean that when I swipe that card, I can actually afford my taste. A person with my very same salary would be a prime candidate for an AMEX. Especially if they didn't live in my neighborhood. I would be rolling in dough if I lived on the other side of the tracks- the lower income side. ANd in all honesty, THE PEOPLE WITH THE MOST MONEY LIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS. I'M NOT KIDDING!
    Last edited by KellBell; October 8th, 2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: spelling errors

  9. #9

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    I'm glad you said that because, I myself, not being rich, do tend to purchase some things that does not fit my salary. When I tend to want something really bad, and it is very expensive, I sometimes break down and purchase it. It is a good thing that you are able to save money, trust me. I save myself but I also support what I heard a pastor on television say, "I am going to spend my money whenever I get ready, I don't want to hear about a rainy day because it is raining everyday in my house!"

    I know when it rains it pours, but at the same time, I want to see myself smile because one day I am not going to be able to put a smile on my face, the funeral home is going to have to do it for me. It may be tomorrow so why not smile today. I don't think you did anything wrong Kellbell, you purchased what you liked.

    I totally agree to what you just said above. In fact, I am in strong favor!

  10. #10

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Meya View Post
    I know when it rains it pours, but at the same time, I want to see myself smile because one day I am not going to be able to put a smile on my face, the funeral home is going to have to do it for me. It may be tomorrow so why not smile today. I don't think you did anything wrong Kellbell, you purchased what you liked.

    I totally agree to what you just said above. In fact, I am in strong favor!

    It's the truth

    Amex doesn't understand that you can be a financial derelict, but still have really good taste. So, good luck to them hahaha!

  11. #11

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Meya View Post
    They need to find a better way to do this. Where customers shop has nothing to do with this credit environment. I can not believe them!
    Meya, they believe that all consumers now don't have sufficient funds to back-up the charges they rack-up regardless of how good their credit/account history is. They may be overprotective of themselves, but this is what's on our plate for right now and we have to eat it whether we like it or not if we don't want to starve tonight, so to speak.

  12. #12

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    They need to redirect their way of thinking from a logical point of view. There is no sound in that action. American is in crisis, and can no longer back up sufficient charges or loans. Meya is an American, therefore Meya can no longer back up her charges or loans. Not valid dude.....lol. They are rejecting and decreasing according to what they think about minorities, average wage making individuals, and what they think is worthless to them. If they feel that way, they don't need to pull a cr when we apply, they should just judge us according to what we say we are worth when we apply.


    Think about it, so we are in a crisis right now right? Who is "WE"..... let's see, oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh the bank itself. Big bank take little bank, or little bank take big bank. I wonder which one came first? So, since the bank decided to rip us under-minded (or should I say, loan for dummies) individuals off in jacked up home loans, we are no longer qualified under Amex. All of this is coming from banks, they don't trust each other, so it is not the consumer, it is top dogs who sits on the top floor scamming each other. Now Amex wants to point the finger at the aftermath, which is those who suffered from banks wrong doing. AND BUSH! But that is another story. I am throwing my towel in with Amex. I will take my business some where else next year. Thanks for the heads up KellBell! I don't necessarily have to eat what's on my plate HJM331, especially if I did not make or purchase it......lmao!

  13. #13

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    The big greedy sub-prime banks are in trouble and being bailed out by who? US! In some cases, the very people they were ripping off with balloon mortgages, NINJA loans, and high interest rate credit cards.

    WHAT A JOKE.

    And how does this effect AMEX? It doesn't! Really. They are just, AS ALWAYS, tightening their belts by discriminating against people based on where they live and where they shop. It's a social class white collar stigma. And I don't think it has anything to do with race, just income level. And it's sickening to me.

    Especially because I grew up in a place that is not AMEX worthy...so-to-speak.

  14. #14

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop


    Preach kellBell, Preach!

  15. #15

    Default Re: AMEX Rates credit risk by where you live and shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Meya View Post
    Where you live and where you shop should be a little on the "In my private life" side. That is where Amex goes wrong. My zip code is red flagged from pizza delivery and I live in a nice home in a quiet area. I shop at Walmart, bargains stores, and every other cheap place you could name. That does not correct nor satisfy a sign that my household income is $25k per year or less. My household income is probably double those reside in Gated, Suburban or Upscaled communities. How do they know if the person with the mortgage was unfamiliar with who was they best bank to finance from? Every home owner was once a first time buyer and Lord knows how many was not aware of who was the best bank to deal with or unaware of a scam.

    I think consumers are going to soon raise this issue as "Prejudice." I disagree with Amex on this one, what if I was visiting someone from the hood and decided to use my Amex card to pay for a purchase? I would then get my card lowered because I am in contact with a store that Amex believes is beneath their standards? Give me a break, what should matter is how well I pay my creditors....Hellloooo, "Soft pulls," and how well I manage my account with them. I think that is too nosy. Snooping around in my account probably using tracking devices and undercover shoppers to see what kind of store I purchase from. Have Amex forgotten that customers are the ones who made them? The rich does not give a &*%!@ who they are, as long as they treat them right and is there when they need them. You can not do no more with Amex than you can any other Visa, Master card, or Discover. They are going to mess around and get some unfair practice slapped in their face and then they will wake up and smell the customers from a credit rating point of view rather than a point of sale point of view.

    Give me a break!
    YOUR RIGHT AND THAT WHAT YOUR SAYING IS FUNNY AS HELL

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

 

 

Credit Cards | Finance Social Network | Credit Card Reviews | Markets
About Us | FG on the Web | Sitemap | Privacy | Terms | Contact


Copyright © 2014 Finance Globe. All rights reserved.