Home Members Tools Credit Cards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: The ability to save

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarwen View Post
    What can make it harder is the fact that the job market isn't very good right now. I know a lot of places in my area is only giving out part time jobs. I see the fact that they don't or can't always give benifits (if there are any).

that's true. so i usually take my chances on available part time jobs that are offered. as long as i still have the time for it and there's nothing illegal about it. times now are really hard... when will this end?

Quote Originally Posted by belle View Post
    I wish I have the discipline for this.
    When bills are piling up, you will! When my husband was laid off, I was the only person to foot the bills, we were on more than restrictions. Now that he has made it back to work, we have yet to recuperate from it. Anything that did not report to the CB was behind. I struggled from this so I had no other choice but to discipline myself by saving. We have a church down the street that has a Food Bank give away every Thursday, so i signed up for it. I did not have to purchase any onions, potatoes, rice, and sometimes vegetables. I was in need so of course I stood in line, if I am not in need I do not take advantage of anything where someone else worse off than I am needs more.

Meya - respect and honesty are important traits. Doing what you have to. Having experienced numerous unemployed sessions in my life, I found the need for savings to cushion for the unknown. Since I have been there I just know this. Walking the walk here is proof of the need. Some where along the way it will happen to all of us. No job is guaranteed and employers do not have it in their power to protect us since we deal globally now. Much simpler in the 40's through the 70's. Global wasn't the element in our lives that it is today. The hard part is moving where there is a job and taking the family. I have had 23 jobs since 1964. Truth, I have done well but each loss of a job set me back for a long time.

I can totally agree with you on that part! In addition, outsourcing has contributed to job loss also. We just have to go with the flow since none of us has the power to change it. I can honestly say this one thing with pride, I am thankful for the life I lived as a child. Although it was rough being raised in housing projects and 1 meal per day (if not every day and a half), I learned how to find sources to replenish my daily needs. While others refuse or deny because of pride or embarrassment, good for them and more for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Meya View Post
    I can totally agree with you on that part! In addition, outsourcing has contributed to job loss also. We just have to go with the flow since none of us has the power to change it. I can honestly say this one thing with pride, I am thankful for the life I lived as a child. Although it was rough being raised in housing projects and 1 meal per day (if not every day and a half), I learned how to find sources to replenish my daily needs. While others refuse or deny because of pride or embarrassment, good for them and more for me.

I admire you for staying true to yourself Meya. Hope you won't lose sight of that no matter where you are and where you will be in life. ;)

Never in life my dear. My past (and current) life it's a foundation for my future success. Stumbling blocks are unforeseen and sometimes unbearable but, overpowering the struggle is the key to accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Meya View Post
    Never in life my dear. My past (and current) life it's a foundation for my future success. Stumbling blocks are unforeseen and sometimes unbearable but, overpowering the struggle is the key to accomplishment.

Very well said Meya!:) Cheers and good luck to more success! ;)

Default Re: 20% savings

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    That's a cool plan. I'm still getting a feel on what works best for me coz I'm also planning on saving for retirement. I'm still young, but as the saying goes -- the early bird catches more worms.

I have decided to save 3% of my monthly salary for retirement. I know it's very meager, but I still have lots of bills to pay. So, I have to be satisfied with it for now.

Default Savings on grocery shopping

I read an article from the web that we can save some money on buying groceries! Was surprised that even coupons can really help a lot.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/pers...oceries-1.aspx

Default Re: Savings on grocery shopping

Quote Originally Posted by belle View Post
    I read an article from the web that we can save some money on buying groceries! Was surprised that even coupons can really help a lot.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/pers...oceries-1.aspx

Most of the time, the little things that go unnoticed are really those that can help with big savings.

Default Re: Savings on grocery shopping

Quote Originally Posted by julienne View Post
    Most of the time, the little things that go unnoticed are really those that can help with big savings.

I agree if Americans did more of that, more cash would be avaliable for investment and spur the economy, lttle things like that would superimpose a recission squash it and start a new birth of AMerican resilence. Kudos

Quote Originally Posted by MsKiwi View Post
    After losing my job 2 years ago and having to start over, you bet I save. I hope I never have to see the day again where I pawn almost everything I own just to pay bills. It's been a very tough 2 years but you know the saying.........."What doesn't kill ya, makes you stronger". While that is true, I'd prefer to be a little less strong and have an easier go at it.
    Well said. A successful person always learn from his last mistake. Same happened with me last year when I was not able to maintain my savings due to my extra expenses and within three months I realize that and I started saving again and maintain my all saving accounts.

You know I started this thread over 4 years ago ! I have re-read all the posts since then and although the economy is somewhat better than in Jan 2008, everybody is on the same page and doing what they can to save what they can. I wish good luck to us all in our attempts to save.......

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertDisuza11 View Post
    Well said. A successful person always learn from his last mistake. Same happened with me last year when I was not able to maintain my savings due to my extra expenses and within three months I realize that and I started saving again and maintain my all saving accounts.
    When I had faced a financial crunch a decade back when I had lost my job all I used to do was to pray to God to take me out of it sooner. But then a friend of mine made me recall the phrase God helps only those who help themselves. That was when I started cutting down my expenses, avoided buying lottery tickets, paying bills before the late fine is charged, made home made snacks instead of buying readymade snacks chips cookies and the like. Although these may not sound funny or unimportant they work wonders and contribute in the overall savings.