Home Members Tools Credit Cards

Thread: IRA accounts

Do you have an IRA account -- for those in the US? If you do, are you putting it more in stocks or bonds or doing something safe but low yield like money markets?

My husband and I have an IRA that we have had for years. We have always had mostly high yield stocks. My husband is within 10 years of retiring, so we are starting to move the stocks into a lower yielding (safer) assortment. I have an IRA that I haven't had very long, I chose very aggresive stocks. Mostly because I don't have alot of money invested, and I wanted to see if I could get a fast growth (hopefully) or lose it (hope not!)

Thanks! Sounds smart to be more aggressive with the smaller amounts of money

I understand that there are different kinds of IRA's -- depending on how much income you make. Seems like it wouldn't make any difference about the type of IRA as to whether you used stocks or bonds, though.

I have a ROTH IRA account. Right now it is 100% stocks, I am still young so I can afford to put it into stocks since I don't need it right away. Eventually I am going to have to start rolling some money into Bonds, but not anytime soon.

You have to be careful about low yield savings and money market accounts. If they aren't earning you a return equal to inflation then you are actually losing money.

That's a good point about the low yield accounts. I guess on the one hand it's better to be earning something than having the money in your mattress, but no sense in creating accounts if you aren't going to try to make more.

Quote Originally Posted by 101378
    That's a good point about the low yield accounts. I guess on the one hand it's better to be earning something than having the money in your mattress, but no sense in creating accounts if you aren't going to try to make more.
    Leaving it under your matress isn't going to help you fight the cost of inflation either. You are better off paying down your bills or any debt you have rather than stashing that cash away for a rainy day. Of course that is after you create yourself a emergency savings fund.

Default Re: IRA accounts

6/17/2009

IRA's food for thought. Diversify. And, don't leave the IRA in the control of your company if you can get to a third party administrator. With Bankruptcy's the only thing you are sure of is nothing and many a company has found ways around IRA's. You have to protect yourself. Even if the company never meant to hurt anyone things happen. You have to watch out for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    IRA's food for thought. Diversify. And, don't leave the IRA in the control of your company if you can get to a third party administrator. With Bankruptcy's the only thing you are sure of is nothing and many a company has found ways around IRA's. You have to protect yourself. Even if the company never meant to hurt anyone things happen. You have to watch out for yourself!
    I second that! IRA's are now self controlled, we no longer rely on money market interest. We can put our money to work either way we choose. You can invest in stocks or even short them with most accounts. In and out if you want, or you can let your investments ride. It is also possible to invest in commodities, such as gold or oil with an IRA account.