Home Members Tools Credit Cards
   

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Question So.. i want an AMEX again..

    so.. im 24, and when i was 21 i had an amex blue travel card.. however, i transferred to a diff college at another state so i didnt get statements and i was too lazy and eventually i forgot to pay my bills.
    anyways, they shut my account 3 years ago and i paid them back..

    so naturally my credit score fell..

    currently my equifax is 650. credit karma 669. thats all i know..

    i tried re applying for 'citi shell' card and i got denied reasons cos of too many hard enquiries..
    im lost.. cos they didnt say it was because of my credit score..

    i have capital one with a limit of 750.. and paypal lol same limit..

    does anyone know if i can get an amex with no annual fee?
    or any advice as to which card i should get to drastically improve my score?

    thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    Default Re: So.. i want an AMEX again..

    Quote Originally Posted by hotabs579 View Post
    so.. im 24, and when i was 21 i had an amex blue travel card.. however, i transferred to a diff college at another state so i didnt get statements and i was too lazy and eventually i forgot to pay my bills.
    anyways, they shut my account 3 years ago and i paid them back..

    so naturally my credit score fell..

    currently my equifax is 650. credit karma 669. thats all i know..

    i tried re applying for 'citi shell' card and i got denied reasons cos of too many hard enquiries..
    im lost.. cos they didnt say it was because of my credit score..

    i have capital one with a limit of 750.. and paypal lol same limit..

    does anyone know if i can get an amex with no annual fee?
    or any advice as to which card i should get to drastically improve my score?

    thanks in advance!

    Unfortunately American Express (AmEx) probably wouldn't approve you. The combination of your credit score, hard inquiries, and past experience with AmEx leads me to believe this.


    A couple of questions...

    How many hard inquires do you have on credit report right now?
    This is typically the last two years.

    How many hard inquires do you have in the last six months?


    Judging by the info given, I think you're still in the rebuilding process. My recommendation: depending on which bank you have, talk to them on getting credit. This is especially an advantage if you bank with a smaller regional bank or credit union, because they will often account for your income more than larger banks. (They see direct deposits etc. etc..) You may also consider a secured card. If you're still in college with no to little income, getting a prime card (like AmEx) is much harder nowadays. Lenders want to see good income and are required to ask for your income by law (although, they typically don't ask for proof).

    I would talk to a local credit union. Start banking there fully with checking, savings, and credit cards. In 1-3 years you can get the AmEx back. Being patient is the hardest thing.

  3. #3

    Default Re: So.. i want an AMEX again..

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyman View Post
    Unfortunately American Express (AmEx) probably wouldn't approve you. The combination of your credit score, hard inquiries, and past experience with AmEx leads me to believe this.


    A couple of questions...

    How many hard inquires do you have on credit report right now?
    This is typically the last two years.

    How many hard inquires do you have in the last six months?


    Judging by the info given, I think you're still in the rebuilding process. My recommendation: depending on which bank you have, talk to them on getting credit. This is especially an advantage if you bank with a smaller regional bank or credit union, because they will often account for your income more than larger banks. (They see direct deposits etc. etc..) You may also consider a secured card. If you're still in college with no to little income, getting a prime card (like AmEx) is much harder nowadays. Lenders want to see good income and are required to ask for your income by law (although, they typically don't ask for proof).

    I would talk to a local credit union. Start banking there fully with checking, savings, and credit cards. In 1-3 years you can get the AmEx back. Being patient is the hardest thing.
    thank you for that! yes, i agree the hardest thing to do is be patient..

    at first i thought my hard inquiries were 3.. well that is what is shown on my latest tu and exp report.. however last night, i was going through my equifax report and i saw 8 hard inquries. 8!!!!!

    and when i go over those hard inquries, i guess they kinda do make sense altho im surprised to see 'comcast' and at&t in there so i have to wait till next year june before it drops to 3..

    and i do know that credit cards, lenders, etc mostly look at ur equifax report first for some reason.. so that makes sense, ill just have to be patient for 2 years.. its no wonder my equifax score is 650, my tu 722 and havent checked my exp.


    thank you again for the clear up!

  4. #4

    Default Re: So.. i want an AMEX again..

    Quote Originally Posted by hotabs579 View Post
    and i do know that credit cards, lenders, etc mostly look at ur equifax report first for some reason.. so that makes sense, ill just have to be patient for 2 years.. its no wonder my equifax score is 650, my tu 722 and havent checked my exp.
    A lot of lenders have actually built their own internal scoring systems. For example, American Express will definitely be taking into consideration any past issues (late payment etc). Wanderer has more insight on internal scoring systems.


    How many of those inquiries were in the last six months? Lenders typically consider the last six months of inquires the most critical, but that doesn't mean they completely ignore the remaining one and half years.

  5. #5

    Default Re: So.. i want an AMEX again..

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyman View Post
    A lot of lenders have actually built their own internal scoring systems. For example, American Express will definitely be taking into consideration any past issues (late payment etc). Wanderer has more insight on internal scoring systems.


    How many of those inquiries were in the last six months? Lenders typically consider the last six months of inquires the most critical, but that doesn't mean they completely ignore the remaining one and half years.
    well from november 10, 2 hard inquiries according to equifax past 6 months.
    and 1 according to the other 2.

    but from when i applied last month for amex, i had 4..

    and still 1 from the other 2.

Similar Threads

  1. Amex
    By porgy1000 in forum Credit Cards
    Replies: 284
    Last Post: January 26th, 2012, 04:30 PM
  2. Amex Green Card Vs Amex Zync card
    By Ernesto in forum Credit Cards
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 15th, 2010, 08:31 PM
  3. AMEX Cards
    By hjm331 in forum Credit Cards
    Replies: 243
    Last Post: March 27th, 2010, 10:12 PM
  4. Costco Amex
    By Car03 in forum Credit Cards
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 8th, 2009, 07:57 PM
  5. AMEX: Financial Reviews?
    By hjm331 in forum Credit Cards
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2008, 01:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

 

 

Credit Cards | Finance Social Network | Credit Card Reviews | Markets
About Us | FG on the Web | Sitemap | Privacy | Terms | Contact


Copyright © 2014 Finance Globe. All rights reserved.