Home Members Tools Credit Cards

Hybrid View

Question How do changing workers from part-time to full-time affects the Unemployment rate?

According to the current situation in the US economy, more and more companies changing part time jobs to fulltime jobs, but what about the unemployment rate? Should it decrease?
    I`m a little bit confused... so maybe someone could give me an idea
    Thank u...

Default Re: How do changing workers from part-time to full-time affects the Unemployment rate

In my opinion, if you're employed you're employed. I think you may be overanalyzing it, but I could be wrong; I haven't researched the employment epidemic much (I read the headlines and such). So if somebody is employed part-time they're not being counted as unemployed and if somebody is employed full-time they're not being counted as unemployed.

Waiting for another response:

Default Re: How do changing workers from part-time to full-time affects the Unemployment rate

It should decrease, especially where the workers are involunarilly working part time.

Sources:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...7/BU239666.DTL
    http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Also realize you can be on unemployment, work a couple days a week, have your unemployment adjusted for the days you work and be counted as still drawing unemployment while working part time as work arises..............

Finance Globe & smcc - It is obvious from the discussions on this site, coupled with the link in the most recent post by FG that determining what the real 'unemployment rate' is more than what we really see or hear on the nightly news.

The story FG linked did a good job of flushing out the many aspects of the unemployment situation. Then when you drop in the idea of drawing unemployment and working part-time from time to time further complicates "... who is really unemployed..."?

My own gut instinct is that we are significantly under reporting the real unemployed and as always the government is trying to paint a rosey picture that is not really rosey. We have a serious loss of permanent jobs. What we replace them with and what type of jobs remains to be seen.

Question... what to do with the male who has not been retrained and is still waiting for that one big industrial job that is permanently gone? We have moved to more of a service based society and women are training for it and have acquired the academic skills to qualify but, why have the male counterparts NOT done that...? In Minnesota the stats support a far higher registration of females working on four year college degrees. Where are the men? Out slaying dragons and not coming to grips with the permanent employment market restructuring...!

Also, why are we not laying all this out and working with men on the need to acquire new or additional job skills. As the baby boomers retire and more modernization takes the control, where do people work?

Most of us realize that the industrial based jobs have been outsourced to a new and global world. Where does that leave the American worker in the big picture of things? I remember when there were regulated industries such as utilities and airlines along with tarriffs that equaled the difference in manufacturing something in the US or overseas... also there were no tax incentives to move jobs off shore!!!

Help... we need to realize that America had a lot to do with it's own mess now. Blame who...? In order to put people back to work some very serious rethinking on jobs has to take place. What jobs???

You make a good point Wanderer. In these days and times, you see numerous commercials to train in the medical field, i.e Medical Assistant, Pharmacy & Surgical technicians and the most popular, RN / LPN. Read recently that their is a glut of Nursing graduates where there isn't enough positions ( if you can believe that ) for all the people that have graduated / still in school.