Home Members Tools Credit Cards

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Time to be very careful

I am looking at re-entering around 1088 on the S&P possibly tomorrow or early next week. SSO or TNA should do the trick if you know the consequences of leveraged ETF's.

Have a great weekend everybody.

AKS is looking good so far at around $14.75 - $14.80 with a stop of $14.17

Sold out at the end of the day for 14.7 with a small loss. It seems like the big hedge funds are out to get trader's stops lately. Up, down, up, down... A way to eat up the traders. It seems that most stocks lately jump in the morning only to fade at the end of the day. Not the bullish action that investors want to see. Selling TNA tomorrow, and may be looking for a short by buying SDS.

I think I will be sitting in cash for a while until the market finds some direction.

Another market breakout seems very possible. After the close today RIMM and Oracle reported outstanding earnings. 2 important leaders. 1131 on the S&P needs to be cleared first, then it should be up, up, up.

If one wanted to start investing, how much cash would they need to start? Just curious.

By the way, Apple stock is hot stuff! Just step into any Apple store on a Saturday and you'll wish you owned stock. It couldn't be anymore crowded!

$1,000 for most accounts. I added a list of some of the popular brokerage accounts that you can check. However, you have to watch out for trading fees with account below $5,000 because they can really eat up profits. I say 5k because profits are normally small at this level.

I know, Apple is on fire. Great products for sure. I use my iPhone 4 for more things than I would ever imagined. We have a store in Louisville, KY but I noticed that most customers were just hanging out, I guess they looked cool there with their friends

Apple is now valued at $265.8 billion, ahead of PetroChina's $265.5 billion. Making them the second largest company in the word, behind Exxon-Mobil which is valued at $313.3 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Finance Globe View Post
    Taking off LEN at 15.80 for close to 6% gains. Leaving SSO for now.
    Mining, precious metals and bonds are keeping me smiling. Otherwise stick the money in a mattress. Can you believe 0.10% interest on checking with savings at 0.20%... give me a break... then 1 year CD's at 1.12%...? Why tie the money up? Note, over the last four months, CD averages have dropped every month!
    Last edited by Wanderer; April 12th, 2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Supp info

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Mining, precious metals and bonds are keeping me smiling. Otherwise stick the money in a mattress. Can you believe 0.10% interest on checking with savings at 0.20%... give me a break... then 1 year CD's at 1.12%...? Why tie the money up?!Note, over the last four months, CD averages have dropped every month!
    Inflation and safety hedges have really been rocking. I think we should all pay attention to the signs!
    Last edited by Wanderer; April 12th, 2012 at 07:15 PM.

Haha, reading through this old thread. I tried to convincing my mom to buy $20k Apple stock in 2007, when it was just $97 per share. She nearly did it, perhaps I should've pushed her a bit harder? It's now $626!

Personaly, I am out of stocks now. I think that the recent stress of it all from the recession pushed me out. I am young enough to put my savings at risk, with a plan for good returns, but would rather stay in guaranteed investments. I suppose it's because I have a rather large family for this generation, and need security. That's not to say I won't ever look back and have some regrets...

Yes, Apple was a bargain. Only history tells you so!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Finance Globe View Post
    Personaly, I am out of stocks now. I think that the recent stress of it all from the recession pushed me out. I am young enough to put my savings at risk, with a plan for good returns, but would rather stay in guaranteed investments. I suppose it's because I have a rather large family for this generation, and need security. That's not to say I won't ever look back and have some regrets...

Yes, Apple was a bargain. Only history tells you so!!!
    Funny how I did the exact same thing. Grabbed my stock value increases and ran. Oh, and paid taxes on the gains! Yeah, can't forget that. So, now I invested in real estate. Pricing seemed right. We shall see! As to buying Apple stock... I think with the loss of Steve Jobs there will be a bubble burst in the near future.
    Last edited by Wanderer; April 12th, 2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Supp info

Market volatility is likely to spike, stock indexes are going up on fairly low volume on very overbought conditions. Not all sectors of stocks are rising in tandem, showing that this rally should not be trusted. Even bad news is sending the markets higher. It's hard to believe that the hint of ending quantitative easing didn't bother the markets at all. Is North Korea all talk? Could be, but the markets don't even put that into consideration.

My thought is that a lot of people jumping in now will be burned pretty bad in the end if timing isn't right. Almost every economist or pro stock investor has no fear factor. These are all warning signs... This could be a rewarding time for a fast gain of possibly several months, or it could end tomorrow. However I personally would not touch it, but if you do please be careful.

Also seeing some signs of DEFLATION... I feel that all commodities, including gold and silver will be hit especially hard. With stocks at record levels, home prices have only modestly improved. This will keep people from spending, along with a high unemployment rate, government cuts, and FED stimulus likely to stop. If this is true, the markets will fall dramatically, and we will likely be in a long bear market.